Central heating bypass???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton suprema 30 boiler and in the airing cupboard I have a stopcock which is on a small gauge pipe than the rest of the setup. It goes from output side of pump before actuator valve to the pipe coming out of the bottom of the tank. Is this some sort of bypass and should it be turned off or on? Sorry for my non technical explanation.

Also I have a Myson CP53 pump, what flow rate should this be set too, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
blushy said:
to the pipe coming out of the bottom of the tank.

Do you mean HW cylinder?

The pipe at the bottom is normally CW feed. Connecting primary loop to that would be odd, to say the least. Unless it's your "filling loop". Is there a check valve on it?

Or, is it actually the second highest pipe connection on the cylinder, which is normally directly below the connection where the hot boiler water runs in?

slippyr4 said:
blushy said:
to the pipe coming out of the bottom of the tank.

Do you mean HW cylinder?

The pipe at the bottom is normally CW feed. Connecting primary loop to that would be odd, to say the least. Unless it's your "filling loop". Is there a check valve on it?

Or, is it actually the second highest pipe connection on the cylinder, which is normally directly below the connection where the hot boiler water runs in?

Yes HW cylinder, runs from just past pump (smaller gauge than rest of copper pipes) and down to just past HW cylinder lower side pipe. There is a red handled valve. It looks like to me that the water bypasses the actuator switch. Dont know what it's purpose is and after having a shower mixer go wrong a while ago and turning everything off whether it's correct or not. Heating does appear to be taking long to reach desired temp this year.

Sponsored Links
slippyr4 said:
[do you have any kind of control valves? 3 port? 2 x 2port?
3 Port control valve, also what speed setting should pump be on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back