potterton suprima 40 no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help, my potterton suprema 40 boiler doesn`t generate any hot water, i have changed the actuator in the airing cupboard (myson power extra322) and checked the valve operation the only led light on is the ch light i think thats why i`m getting central heating. can not get dhw led to operate also cannot get both led`s illuminated at the same time. The thermostat in the airing cupboarb (potterton ptt2) is calling for the hot water any help would be very much appreciated, regards Toe

Sponsored Links
Why did you replace the 3 port actuator? Check the wiring.With HW on only you should have power on the orange wire.Check the cyl stat and you should have 240 to the common and the call term which should power up tthe pump and boiler which should be connected to the valve orange.

hi thanks for the response , i`m only getting 23v at the orange does this mean the stat in the airing cupboard needs to be changed to achieved the closed contact thriugh the stat giving the 240 v to the orange

Sponsored Links
You need 240v on all terms in cyl stat and 240 on orange wire for boiler to fire correctly. 23v is a bit of a mystery? A good heating engineer should be able to sort that for you.

Before you change the stat, check the voltage leaving the HW ON terminal at the programmer. If that's 23v you may well have a poor connection there. and could explain why the stat receives and delivers 23v.
If the stat receives 230v but only delivers 23v it is most likely due to dirty/burnt contacts or poor connection

Guys, must be somthing doing the rounds as i'm having problems with my Suprima 40 this week too. The PCB was replaced around 18months ago. I turned on the heating today and whilst I m getting hot water from taps, all radiators are cold. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Yes! You'll most likely have a 3port mid position valve. The operation of these depends on a small motor and a couple of micro switches.
Check to prove the room stat is providing 230v to the white wire.
Check to see if the valve moves away from the HW position and fully across to the CH position.If valve does not move, motor is suspect. If valve does move then micro switch is suspect.
Replacing the actuator head will solve both these problems.
You'll find plenty of information on this site regarding 3port valves if you do a search.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back