Potterton SuPrima 40 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Potterton SuPrima 40 that intermittantly fails to ignite with the red light flashing. A reset (and wait for 10-15 minutes) is all that is needed to have hot water once again.

We have just been away for a week and got back to find the Potterton SuPrima 40 red light flashing with a small leak on the Boilermate central heating pump area, normally obscured by the heat of the pipe evapourating the small amount of leaked water. Also noticed that the heat exchanger pump from the boiler is noisy and seems to be constantly running.

Can anyone offer a remedy to:

• 1) The red light flashing and subsequent resets.
    2) The noisy heat exchanger pump
    3) And the reason why the heat exchanger pump appears to run all the time?

Many thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
if the pump is noisy then it probably isnt running properly, this could be causing boiler to overheat and thus locking out

Only just noticed the pump noisy after our holiday. It was ok before but we have had the red light flashing since about January. It can go for weeks without flashing, or sometimes needs resetting daily.

It's due a service aswell. What do you suggest I tell the heating engineer?

@twgas - speedy reply ;)

Cheers,
Dave

I would take a look at the BBC Watchdog site regarding your boiler. Then if you meet their criteria contact Potterton heateam and see if you can blag a free replacement PCB.

You might want to get the pump changed first on the boilermate.

Sponsored Links
if you get a service done before simond's suggestion then yes tell him. (the service man, not simond)

I would take a look at the BBC Watchdog site regarding your boiler. Then if you meet their criteria contact Potterton heateam and see if you can blag a free replacement PCB.

Seems to meet the criteria. I'll investigate further. Thanks.

You might want to get the pump changed first on the boilermate.

Would you suggest that the noise, best described as a ticking, is the pump bearings?

@ Steve69the69Gas - Yeh, probably didn't put this across very well. The pump problem only came to light at 11.30 last night. I'm keen to get it sorted but not sure whether it's an emergency bank holiday weekend call out job!

Would you guys suggest service and pump replace, then PCB from Potterton (with heating engineers backing) or any other way?

Your help is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

I have had to replace about three control boards for on Suprima's resently and out of interest took one to an electronics expert freind. He ran his magic eye over it and said he'd found loose connections and dry joints on the board. IF you have the skill to start checking the board and resoldering components without frying them then that is an option. On one of the boards I looked at found two very obvious poor contacts. Good luck

An incredible number of Potterton boards were plagued with unsoldered connections and dry joints.

I can only assume they were soldered by an (outsourced) lady doing the ironing while watching Eastenders.

The old board can be repaired but the design was fundamentally flawed. Many nuisance lockouts were not caused by dry joints. We used to solder them up but times have moved on.

If you lay your hands on one of the new boards you will see it is a total redesign. well worth the investment if you are planning to keep the house, or call heatteam and see if you can get it changed out of goodwill.

'Goodwill' being the technical term for having had your pants pulled down on national primetime TV :LOL:

Holy thread resurrection! I guess I really should feedback now....

The problem appeared to disappear with a service until recently. The odd reset was required again and the pump showed no signs of leaking with the noise disappearing (apparently noise from air in the system from standing for a while - anyways...)

I went away for Xmas and came back at 21.30 hrs Sunday evening to the same problem, the house was 8 degrees C, no hot water and seepage from the pump too (only evident when cold). The boiler eventually fired up and we had heating. I phoned Potterton the next day for their 'one price fix all' solution, advised by the heating guy that serviced the boiler.

It turns out that my boiler is 47th week of 1999 and the watchdog boilers were in 2003, or something like that. There are two plans available for a 'one price fix all' solution at £239.99 with 3 months guarantee or £299.99 with 12 months guarantee. I opted for the second. The heating system repairer was a my house the very next day and changed the boiler control unit immediately but insisted the pumps are not is domain. Everything seemed fine!

I went to bed last night and noticed that the 'primary pump to heat exchanger' doesn't appear to shut off and is a little noisy, this is not the same as the seeping when cold 'heating' pump. I obviously need to get both repaired but I have a couple of questions:

1) Should the 'primary pump to heat exchanger' switch off when the tank is at temperature or run all the time?
2) How much would a guestimate be for replacement?
3) Should the pumps be covered by the boiler repair plan?
4) I've turned the pump to position 1 during the night to limit the noise and intend putting it back to 3 when the household is awake, is this an acceptable temporary measure?

Your help is appreciated.
Many thanks,
Dave

From here I would say the pump control board is knackered on the boilermate. Very common fault.

Probably looking at about £130-£150 + VAT

Have you got any buzzing coming from the boiler mate?

I can't hear a buzzing over the pump making a bit of a whirring noise. The 'one price fix all' plan from Potterton includes boiler, heating control, timing controls and circulation equipment (I think - the policy hasn't arrived on the doorstep as yet). Presumably, I should be covered by the policy?

Incidently, this has only happened since the replacement PCB kit , that included a new wiring harness was installed (by HeatTeam - Potterton approved repairers?). Is this most probably coincidence or could it be linked?

Thanks again, :D
Dave

i agree with dave, it will be the pump control most likely.

check your T+C's regarding cover, i doubt it will be covered as the BM2 has its own GC number and is often regarded as a seperate appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back