Central Heating Check Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a secondary circuit for an extension. I have a Greenstar 42CDi Combi boiler. I want to know if I need to fit a check valve on the return circuit as the new return circuit will run through a T junction with the existing return circuit. I have attached a diagram to hopefully make things clear.
I am worried that if the second circuit is on, but the first circuit is off there will be seepage back to the radiator which is above the pipe work so convection will help heat this rad.
Secondly, given the operating temperature, the distance of the return circuit will the flow / pressure be too weak to operate a check valve? Is there one on the market that will work?
Any advice, experiences would be very helpful!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as there are no return paths from the flow into the upstairs rad back to the primary return then you won't need a check valve.

OK Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand what your asking?

I will have two zones on zone valves for the outward (send) sideof the circuit. If Zone 1 (Return1) is off and Zone 2 (Return2) is on won't there be some back flow up the Return 1 pipe and nothing to stop this going up to the rad?

Or do you think the draw from the boiler pump will prevent this?

Sorry if I seem a bit dim but I'm on a steep learning curve here. :confused:

is on won't there be some back flow up the Return 1 pipe and nothing to stop this going up to the rad?

There is no return path therefore no flow. Rad stays cold.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Norcon, I think I understand now. Appreciate the help very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back