Central Heating cleaner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick one. I have placed a central heating cleaner in my system just under a month ago. On the instructions it says leave the cleaner in the system for up to 28 days, under normal operating system condiitons.

Does this mean it must only stay in the system for 28 days if the central heating is used everyday or so, or could it stay longer in the system - say an extra 10 days if the central heating has hardly been used in the last month?

Further point does the cleaner work best if the heating is switched on everyday? I have used the heating for severals hours but very infrequently during the last 3 weeks?

Sponsored Links
you don't say what chemical you used.

is it X400? of so, it doesn't cause any damage if left in longer, but loses its cleaning power so you ought to drain it out and flush to remove all the dirt it has loosened. run the circulating pump with the boiler stat turned down if it is too warm to use the heating.

remember to use an inhibitor on final refill

the stuff you used is cheap & cheerful, not a product i have ever used.
just follow the instructions.

personally i would have spent an extra £5 & used fernox f3 or sentinel x400.

the more the heating is used for the period its in the better it will work.

do not leave it in any longer than recommended.

Sponsored Links
In respect to draining the system, all my rads downstairs have drain valves. Is it recommended to drain just one of these to clear the system?

Also is it viable to do this or better to completely drain the system?

what are the best procedures to clear out the system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back