Do i buy a MagnaClean Central Heating Cleaner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having my old combi replaced in a few weeks with a Worcester Bosch 30CDi. The installer who came to quote me for the work has suggested i have a MagnaClean Central Heating Cleaner fitted with the new boiler.

Id like to know if these systems are worth having or are just a gimmick. My limited experience with heating is that the black sludge ends up in the bottoms of the radiators and stays put.

I drained and took down the rad in my hallway last week to decorate behind it, and when i tipped it up to get the last of the water out it was quite clear - no black sludge at all. I was quite surprised how clean it was.

£100 isn't the end of the world - but id hate to think id purchased something that isnt really doing anything for me.

What do you all think of MagnaClean Central Heating Cleaners?

Sponsored Links
Personally i always recommend either having spirovent or magnaclean fitted on any new installation,this one off investment for the life time of the boiler and will help protect the complete system by eliminating all magnatite and sludge

Well worth the worth it in my opinion :D

on an old, or neglected, or open-vented system I think they are terrific.

Has yours always been on a sealed combi, or was it once an old open-vented system?

on an old, or neglected, or open-vented system I think they are terrific.

Has yours always been on a sealed combi, or was it once an old open-vented system?

Either way its got to be a good investment

Sponsored Links
I did a combi change recently and then customer wanted rads replacing, I filled and drained 3 times before refilling and using X100, I also installed a Magnaclean. The crap that came out of just the pipework was unbelievable, (the water looked clean when we drained) there well worth installing :LOL:

Would not drive your car without an oil filter would you. Why should a c/h system be different has xxxx floating about in it.

Heres one I fitted to a dirty system. The crud looks light because of the light on the camera phone.
This was after just 5 minutes of running.
If your rads are old I recommended you get the new better model I think they call it the Magnaclean pro. Whatever I mean the one with a physical filter as well as the magnet.
Cant comment on the spirovent but they do seem to have a good name on here.
Theres another called a boiler buddy which I dont really rate after some radiator rust got past it and knacked up a new boiler.
Magnaclean.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back