Central Heating Disaster

It was 90% clear with some black at the end. The water in the header tank is jet black.

Cheers
BR

Sponsored Links
If you waited for several hours with the tap and drain cock open, water should have been coming out everywhere, as it were.

?
It`ll be the washer in the drain cock - acting as a valve against the mains pressure in the hose :idea:

Hi Guys,

A professional heating engineer came round today, in fact the very chap who fitted the system back in 1999.

Using a very methodical approach he found that a T junction just above the pump was the problem. It had clogged solid with black gunge. He chopped this out and replaced it.

He fired up the system and its all working fine, he even put in the system cleaner I was originally trying to put in.

In 4 weeks I will drain it all out and put in an inhibitor and maybe even a descaler and make sure this is replaced every couple of years. Its worth it for peace of mind. It was B**** freezing these past couple of nights, so lesson learned.

Thanks for all the advice and to everyone who took the trouble to reply.

Cheers,
BR

Note the advice to get a professional heating engineer to sort out these problems quickly and efficiently!

Sponsored Links
Agree, phoned him last night, he came round this morning. Worth every penny.

BR

Even better!

I would probably have charged about £115-£125 depending on how easy cutting out the blocked pipe was.

But charges vary a lot as does the amount of work involved. The important aspect is that the customer is happy with the cost and the work done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back