Central Heating System won't fill!

Hi all,
My latest attempt at filling via the vent/drain pipe failed so yesterday I drained the system and a pal with the right tools and blowtorch cut out the feed pipe at the T junction. As most of you suggested - it was clogged full of c**p! This was replaced and the system refilled from the header tank- joy it all held watertight and the boiler flashed up. This morning I put the system on and only the upstairs rads are getting warm - nothing downstairs - started bleeding and noticed that what is coming out is frothy water assume that this is the air mixed in the system? Let pump and boiler run but still no joy in getting other rads to warm through. Plenty of water (frothy!) in them. Hot water system is fine. Any suggestions will be very welcome. Cheers. Jock

Sponsored Links
Take off furthest downstairs rad and attach hose from rad valves to drain.
Also try mains hose on other rad valve - water should whizz through downstairs rads try one at a time. If it fills/overflows header tank you have sludge downstairs.

I have the same issue for the second time. My particular problems are around the air eliminator which is like a 4 way junction that sits above the central heating pump (the tank inputs via this). Last time I had to cut out the unit and physically clean it because it was full of of sludge and other deposits. I made sure it went back with compression fittings and I'm glad i did because now it looks like I have the same problem. I cant tell you how much time I wasted trying to unblock the line with hoses etc. Drain your systems, isolate your water supply locate the blockage and remove it. When you put it back together bare in mind that it will more than likely happen again over time. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back