Central heating leaking into hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Firstly thanks to everyone who advised me to insulate rather than replacing my central heating controls, this has made a massive difference!

I've now taken off my blocked radiators and flushed them through and added Sentinel x400 to the central heating. The problem I have now is that the x400 is in my hot water as well?!?!?!?!

I've got a Y plan sytem from what I can tell, if anyone can advise it would be a great help.

Cheers

Tim

Sponsored Links
How did you introduce X400 into the system? How many tanks do you have in the loft?

x400 is in my hot water as well
Then either:-

1. You have a primatic cylinder and have put X400 in your cold storage cistern;

or

2. The cylinder coil has perforated/split/holed, which means that you need to replace the cylinder.

I put the x400 into oneof the upstairs radiators, I have one Cylinder with a plastic expansion tank above it. Due to a loft conversion my cylinder and expansion tank or on upstairs rather than in the attic but this was done ten years ago, would this make a difference?

I've run the taps till the water is clear, I'll run the heating again now to see if the water gets discoloured again.
Cheers

Tim

Sponsored Links
do you have only one plastic tank, and pos a cylinder similar to this

or just one tank and normal cylinder

or two plastic tanks

theres a plastic expansion tank over a metal cylinder coated in foam, am really lost on this now as even after emptying the hot water and letting it refill there's still x400 in the hot water supply :(

there's still x400 in the hot water supply :(
Then either:-

1. You still have a primatic cylinder and have put X400 in your cold storage cistern;

or

2. The cylinder coil has perforated/split/holed, which still means that you need to replace the cylinder.

you cant do fully pumped on a primatic smart ass :D
Maybe you can't, and maybe I wouldn't, but there's no limit to the things that people will do when they don't have a clue.

That aside, there's no evidence that this is fully pumped. And before you go yelling "Y plan" at me, this wouldn't be the first OP to get it wrong.

Thanks guys, it is a Y plan system from what I can see. Was hoping that there was a valve or something that may have failed in a halfway position or something rather than the coil in the cylinder beign broke as its not a little bit of x400 in the hotwater, its the same consistency as in the rads :(

the x400 was added to the system via one of the upstairs radiators rather than the exansion tank above the cylinder.

the x400 was added to the system via one of the upstairs radiators rather than the exansion tank above the cylinder.

Was the chemical added to your bathroom rad by any chance? I know that in some conventional systems they used to pipe up the bathroom rad to the hot water cylinder rather than the heating system, so you always had a rad hot for drying off towels, even when heating was off.

No but it was an upstairs radiator. Don't knowif this would make any difference but the upstairs radiators are only filling up halfway at the moment as well?

Kev you can fully pump a primatic the pump must go on the return though .First time i saw it thoght WTF but quick check on web site will confirm.

OP chances are your coil has split big style

No but it was an upstairs radiator. Don't knowif this would make any difference but the upstairs radiators are only filling up halfway at the moment as well?

Probably is a split coil as others have mentioned. Why don`t you completely drain down your cylinder, (if you are lucky enough to have a drain point fitted at the bottom that isn`t seized), turn off the plastic tank above your cylinder, then observe the water level in your small tank feeding your heating system. If this is dropping & after a while you get water out of your hot taps with a full cylinder then it`s time for a new cylinder :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back