Central Heating Drain Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to drain off the central heating to replace a couple of radiators. They are all fitted with the valves pictured.

Are these drain valves? If they are can someone advise how they work and what I'll need (a plumber!). I don't want to flood the house ........ again!

If they're not can someone advise what I should be looking for. All the ground floor radiators have the same valves, there's nothing near the boiler and I don't have any drain off on the outside of the house.

Thanks in advance

gk

Sponsored Links
Yes that is a drain-off. If you just loosen the screw, they have the habit of unscrewing themselves and disappearing down the hose, never to be seen again.

How many times have you caught your ankle on that?, or the hoover?

Loosen the centre screw, relieve the pressure catching the water, once it runs slip a hose on the end.
Practice putting the hose on before you open the valve and run the hose into a bucket before it goes down a drain, incase the screw winds itself out, as heatserve says. (it will fall to the bottom of the bucket and the bucket will overflow water) Open the radiator vent at the top when draining.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back