Draining Central Heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking to replace a radiator in the bathroom. Central Heating system is open vented. The problem is I can't find a drain valve for the CH system and none of the radiators appear to have a drain/tap outlet either. Can I drain the system by closing one of the rad valves in the bathroom and opening the otherallowing the water to drain into a bucket/tray?? Do I just have to ensure the Boiler is turned off and the feed/expansion tank ball valve is secured closed?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have a look around the outside of building you may have them outside sometimes civerd by a plate.

It will take ages to empty system into a bucket. Rig something up onto the valve and attach a hose but do you actually need to drain entire system to change a rad

Try looking on the manifold if you have one.. Thats where mine lived before I had my system changed.

you can do as you originally suggest, by removing the rad and opening one of the trvs.
If you go down to your local diy store and buy a hose pipe fitting that screws onto your outdoor tap (female with the thread on the inside), its the same size as your trv so you can screw it on, connect a hose and drain to your hearts content.

like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3/4-Brass-Gar...elock-Fit_W0QQitemZ200292153725QQcmdZViewItem

SP

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Managed to drain the CH system by draining from on of the rad valves. Didn't take too long.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back