Replacing a radiator - how do i drain the system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to replace a radiator in the bedroom.

I have a gravity based open vented system with a feed and expansion tank in the loft.

How do i drain the system? if i open the drainage valve at the lowest radiator and connect a hose to drain the water outside wont the feed and expansion tank keep flowing water through the system?

Do i just force the ballcock to stay closed by lifting it and securing it to something?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Etheir turn the water off to the tank or tie the ball cock up.

If your not moving or changing the rad vales, you may not need to drain the system down.

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

I will try to find where i can turn the supply off from, if i cant locate it, i will tie off the ballcock.

I want to replace the existing rad valves at the same time, thats why i think i need to drain the system.

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

I will try to find where i can turn the supply off from, if i cant locate it, i will tie off the ballcock.

I want to replace the existing rad valves at the same time, thats why i think i need to drain the system.

Yup.

Might as well got for thermostatic valves if the rads in rooms with out a room stat.

Also might be a good time to add some system flush before you drain, if don't know when it was done.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back