central heating earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a central heating system installed, fed from an existing fused spur. I thought I was getting plastic piping through out but the plumber has used copper with several plastic joints throughout instead.

If I am correct the wiring regs do not require you to earth each radiator (4mm sup to local socket) if there is plastic piping and the connection from directly under the floorboards to the radiator is copper. ie only 10 inches of copper to the radiator.

What are the earthing requirements if the entire system is copper piping but at each radiator there is a plastic elbow just under the floorboards? Thus the radiator is actually insulated.

Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid riping up floorboards to supply a supplementry earth to each radiator if it is electrically isolated due to the plastic fittings.

Sponsored Links
We are just talking special location here arn't we (ie bathroom)??

No need to bond every rad!!

A rad, in a bathroom fed by plastic, or a section of plastic doesn't need supp bonding.

Supp bonding doesn't need to be connected to the CU or a local socket. It does need to connect all electrical circuits IN the special location to each other, and pipework etc.

Search the forum for supp bonding - all will be revealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back