Central Heating External Bypass Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler has packed up and after 4 fruitless visits, the service company that I have paid £300 per year for have decided the installation is wrong. The boiler is a Glow Worm 30sxi condenser. After the last visit the guy seemed to run off muttering something about the system not having a "permanent live supply" (which it does have via a switched fused spur) or an "external bypass". As a result they cant fix it and want more money to come out again once I have addressed these issues. Does anyone know if the external bypass is necessary on a 30sxi? Looking through the manual I have found reference to an internal bypass, so is that not relevant? And surely if the boiler is getting 240v, then its getting 240v! The whole system has worked fine since it went in 3 years ago. Kind of feel like I am being scammed here....
3 weeks no heating! And counting.

Thanks for any help/advice in advance

Sponsored Links
no permanent live, he would of tested for this.

so if the boiler installation has been installed incorrectly that is not the responsibility of the service company you need to contact your installer.

no permanent live, he would of tested for this.

so if the boiler installation has been installed incorrectly that is not the responsibility of the service company you need to contact your installer.

That's what they are saying and I totally understand its not the service co's responsibility, but if the boiler is getting a supply (which it is) then that's surely not the problem with the boiler? The lights are on - F5 is flashing away at me (overheat lockout).Unless I am missing something in the term "permanent supply" that I don't properly understand. All of the electrical side of the system seems to work fine - boiler, room stat, timer etc.
Installer AWOL...

Sponsored Links
The boiler may have flashing lights but it may not be correctly connected to the live supply.

An engineer needs to check how its connected. Ideeally one who can write a note on his headed paper in case you intent further action against the installer/maintenance.

Furthermore you need to get something in writing from the maintenance company as to why they will not fix it.

Tony

The boiler may have flashing lights but it may not be correctly connected to the live supply.

An engineer needs to check how its connected. Ideeally one who can write a note on his headed paper in case you intent further action against the installer/maintenance.

Furthermore you need to get something in writing from the maintenance company as to why they will not fix it.

Tony

Thanks for the reply. Given that the system has been working absolutely fine for the 3 years since it went in (and was signed off by the electrician), is it not safe to assume that the electrical supply is probably not the issue here. More a reason for the service co to disappear without doing anything... At this stage, Im not too bothered about blame, Im just very cold. The external bypass thing confuses me though. Does anybody know if the 30sxi has an internal bypass and if it does, does that mean I dont need an external one?

the system not having a "permanent live supply" (which it does have via a switched fused spur)
But does the supply go direct from the fused spur to the L,N and E terminals of the boiler or does it go via a programmer/time switch/thermostat/motorized valve?

the system not having a "permanent live supply" (which it does have via a switched fused spur)
But does the supply go direct from the fused spur to the L,N and E terminals of the boiler or does it go via a programmer/time switch/thermostat/motorized valve?
Ah ok, now I see the possibility of permanent not being permanent. There is a cable going directly from the fused spur to the boiler.

The manual shows that there is an internal by-pass:

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/stepone/data/downloads_sd/6d/00/00/sxi_range.pdf

"11.6 Testing - Heating System
Check that all remote controls are calling for heat. The boiler will
fire automatically. Fully open all radiator valves and flow control
valve ‘A’ if fitted, see diagram 4.1.
Balance the radiators as required and if fitted adjust valve ‘A’ to
give the required system differential. Turn off all radiators that
can be shut off by the user and check to see if less than the
maximum differential allowed of 20°C can be achieved across
flow and return.
This boiler has a built in bypass, see diagram 11.4. and 14.17.
The boiler is supplied with the bypass open half a turn. It should
not be necessary to adjust the bypass, but if required turn the
adjustment screw clockwise to close the valve, see diagram
11.4."

Thanks for the reply. Given that the system has been working absolutely fine for the 3 years since it went in (and was signed off by the electrician), is it not safe to assume that the electrical supply is probably not the issue here.

When I go to repair a boiler its very important that I ( do not assume ANYTHING! )

One I attended has a seriously low gas flow. I asked the lady TWICE if there was any gas valve in the kitchen cupboard which she had stuffed full of plastic bags.

Based on her clear reply I got her husband to dig down and expose the gas pipe under the garden. As a solicitor perhaps the most physical work that he has ever done!

I cut the pipe to check and it was all OK. So I proceeded to the kitchen and took all the plastic bags out of the cupboard to expose the service valve right in the middle.

Tony

I am based in berkshire and i work on quite a few glow worms as well as vaillant boilers,if you havent managed to get it sorted then by all means get in touch my email address is in the profile

There is a list of approved installers on the glow worm site,you can have look there instead of reading agile pontificating and using this site for free advertising

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back