central heating flow and return pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which is the easiest way to tell the difference between the flow and return pipes, would i be right in saying the flow pipe would get the warmest first after boiler start up. Also which pipe is the c/h pump found on? flow or return?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to understand my heating system a bit more before i attempted to add an extra radiator, does it matter which side of the rad i connect to with the flow pipe and likewise the return pipe?

If it's a combi or a system boiler pump is on the return.

If it's a regular boiler could be either but if the pump is near the boiler so you can trace the pipes the arrow on the pump points a/to the boiler; it's on the returnb/from the boiler; it's on the flow.

If it's in an airing cupbard just before a motorised valve with three pipes on it it's on the flow, if it's down beside the boiler quite likely to be on the return.

Modern trv's bydirectional put your rad whichever way round you like. If reusing old trv and it shudders when reaching temperature, turn the trv on it's side.

Sponsored Links
mmm

adding another rad will upset the balance of you system so bare that in mind when you refill you will need to re balance the system

also how many rads do you have coming off the circuit you are going to tee into, rule of thumb is no more than three to a 15mm circuit as it wont work.

but if the aboves ok then teeing it like u said will be fine

dont forget inhibitor

not putting rad in conservatory are you? plenty of probs when installers fit big con. rads and have teed into 10mm supplies from nearest rad.Very common and very useless.

No, it's going into a new bedroom we have created, i think to be on the save side, i will tee into the main 22mm flow and return pipes, that way i'm pretty sure the system can take it.

Thankyou everybody for you helpful advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back