Flow and Return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive a problem with the flow and return central heating pipes on my oil boiler..
can any one tell me if the Flow pipe should be hotter than the return Pipe to the boiler... I think there round the wrong way!! :(

When the boiler shuts down there is a terrible gurgling noise in the pipes to the boiler?

Any ideas please or advice

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it do you have a pump how long has this been happening how long have you lived there has the boiler been serviced when was the most recent work done on the system and what was done do you have any pictures of where the pipework joins the boiler?

Ahhh, boiler installed recently,,by a mate.. Its an oil boiler, the pipe that comes from the return conection gets very hot, while the pipe from the flow connection is luke warm..ive done some research and think my mate has put the pipes round the wrong way...does that sound like whats happened?

Sponsored Links
the system worked prior to the boiler change, the pump and everthing else was fine..

I still think the pipe work is reversed...thats, the flow is on the return on the boiler....and the return on the 'flow' would that cause the boiler to operate in a weird way?

moliver34 said:
That sjust the sort of **** reply I thought I might get!

Ok...so really why dont you ask him?? :confused:

moliver34 said:

what is wrong with that question you "mate" installed it didnt he?

in a nut shell.
the flow should always be hotter than the return pipe.

in hot water boilers , coming from the boiler it pumps hot (flow) water around the systems pipe work and it cools down in the system (return) and retunrs to the boiler to start the cycle again.

moliver34 said:
Whoa there guy. You haven't given nearly enough information yet. For example, what do you call the flow and what do you call the return?

And your implication that you expected a **** answer must mean that either you knew your question was irksome or you think that we're generally unhelpful on this forum. Either way, the replies you're getting are of no lower a quality that your original post, and are head and shoulders above your subsequent ones.

Seriously, if you've had a mate install something and f*** it up, then either go away and get your mate back, or read this before you post anything else.

Thank you for your answers, but IVe sorted it now..and before you ask...

I didnt ask my mate!!

Dont worry I wont be returning to this site.. It sounds to me that there are too many 'professional installers' on here 'Venting' their daily frustrations :cry: :evil: :evil: on the members of public!

Its a pity all I wanted to know was if I had the flow and return pipe work 'reversed' not much to ask was it...a 'SiMPLE...yes would have been fine, but all I got was 'mostly Unhelpful comments'...except the last post.!

moliver34 said:
all I wanted to know was if I had the flow and return pipe work 'reversed' not much to ask was it...a 'SiMPLE...yes would have been fine
Well, I asked you a total of nine questions about your system, and pointed you towards the forum guidance.

You managed to answer only two of those questions, and even those only obliquely, so if you want to have a gripe then get out a mirror.

People who provide advice here do it for nothing, and yet you complain about it. If you were concerned about anyone other yourself, you'd post the answer to your problem so that other people with your problem might benefit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back