flow and return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumber finished installing a Joule 250ltr horizontal cylinder in my eves space. Water is hot and it appears to be working.
I noticed while I was insulating the pipe work that the return is 10 degrees hotter than the flow (water 2 way valve oil closed at the moment and I left 2 small thermometers on each pipe over night)
I would assume the flow should be hotter? or would that only be the case when 2 port valve opens and boiler fires?
Can flow and return only be checked when water heating is being demanded and then check pipe temperatures?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you are looking at the pipes properly? Unless you have a heat source independent of the boiler, the condition you describe is a physical impossibility, or your plumber has discovered the energy equivalent of perpetual motion.

Sponsored Links
Physically impossible, has to be the other way about. Is the cylinder marked flow and return, if so they must be fitted the opposite way around. Will it make a huge difference .... depends on the coil really and that the 2port valve and other key components are all in their relative locations. Was he qualified (UHW/G3) to install an unvented?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back