Potterton Combi 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replaced the pump on this boiler today. When fired up in CH the flow pipe below the boiler got up to temp fairly quickly but the return pipe was about 50 degrees behind. Suspected a blockage and flushed both ways with mains water. On second firing return pipe temp did rise but I did notice that the return above the pump was a lot hotter a lot quicker than the incoming pipe. Is it possible that the system water was short circuiting through the diverter valve?

Sponsored Links
In spite of all the postings where we have explained how this boiler works it seems that you dont understand the internal workings.

A clue is the word begins with "D".

Presumably you are charging the customer for the new pump ( which was not required! ).

Tony

On the contrary Tony, a new pump was required.

Bit more time now... Tony, I have great respect for your knowledge and experience. I even defended you on another forum when others became critical of you. Unfortunately we all can't know everything. Some of us are still on a learning curve. We don't have the luxury of someone holding our hand on a daily basis while we learn the ins and outs of boiler maintenance. Some of us have to pick up knowledge in any way we can. It doesn't mean we are bad people. If you are not going to offer constructive information then why bother visiting any forums.
FYI Replacing the pump, cured the immediate problem that was evident on my arrival. The problem with the water flow was only evident once the boiler was able to run. The couple involved are aquaintances and were just charged for the pump at trade.
BTW I didn't have access to a pc to search for info on this boiler at the time. Maybe I should start lugging my desktop around with me and hope that clients have a broadband connection. There were no M.I.'s on site and I'd not come across this boiler. Maybe you have a spare set I can have. The client has heating and hot water now which he didn't have before, so he's happy.

Sponsored Links
bump...until I know tony has read this.

I doubt the MIs would have helped you much as I dont think they explain the workings of the Puma diverter valve.

Reading the postings here ( and making notes if necessary ) will teach some useful tips which are based on experience and in depth investigation of the workings of boilers. Very few people can know everything about every boiler ever made.

I rarely need to look at MI to diagnose faults on boilers. However if you would benefit why dont you get a cheap second hand laptop and one of the boiler MI CDs as supplied by My-Mate or as sold for a few pounds on Ebay? ( Or even just take the CD and use the client's PC ). As a very last resort you could telephone me for advice.

What did you do to restore the CH ? The diverter does short circuit the system flow when its in DHW mode! Did you stop the dripping tap or replace the wax capsule?

Tony

My-mate has not existed for months. Potterton Manufacturers instructions are online at partarena.com/baxi - or through ther mfrs website itself.

I bought a £6.99 DVD supposedly of boiler intrsuctions - it only has ones which are on the web anyway. I still find paper versions useful - you need to send actual letters asking for sets of literature or you get ignored by many manufacturers. But that's only 20 or so letters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back