pump on potterton puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is my pump pumping the water in the correct direction. According to the installation guide the pump should be on the return pipe to the boiler. However the return pipe gets very hot and the flow pipe is only luke warm. I removed the cover for the electrical connections and noticed a capacitor inside. If this component fails can this cause the pump to turn the wrong way?

Sponsored Links
The return is the right hand side pipe. Ignore the colour of the isolating valve taps - they are often wrong.

The arrow on the pump rear casing should face upwards.

The capacitor has nothing to do with the direction - just the rear casing.

The return pipe on the right hand side is the one getting very hot. I expected the left hand flow pipe to be very hot not to be luke warm. Is my assumption incorrect.

Do the radiators heat up?

Look at the pump arrow on the side of the casting.

If a bypass valve has been fitted (as required by the manufacturer) the return pipe will be hot when the heating is on.

If the pump really is backwards the heating will not work (the diverter valve will not operate).

Sponsored Links
Some of the radiators heat up, though very slowly.It can take 2 hours to heat these,but still the last 2 radiators never get above cold to luke warm.From cold the boiler fires up intermittently, I would expect it to be fired up continually when starting from cold. There is no room thermostat, the Live and SW Live are linked. The heating control is turned to max. External from the boiler there is no bypass valve, the flow and return pipes go straight out to the first radiator which is about 2 meters away. Is this first radiator used as a bypass valve?

Look at the pump rear casing - there should be an arrow on the side. Does it point up or down?

You will need to remove the boiler front panel and right hand side casing.

If your pump is indeed the right way round then it could be time for a new diverter valve.
Lots of fun can often be had getting the big nut off the back.
Theres a rather useless plate that you can take off to get a little better access.

Sorry for the delay, but have been dragged down with flu. The pump arrow points upwards. So I guess its the diverter valve needing replacing. Is it worth just fitting a new wax capsule or should the complete valve be replaced?

I used to just to replace the wax capsule untill they let me down bad so i replace the whole thing now

Two small hacksaw cuts and a bit of fettling on the backplane and access to the nut is improved. Plenty of WD40. Be careful not to pull the boiler off the wall - yes the backnut can be that tight. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back