Flow & Return - which is which?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

My DIY book tells me that there should be about a 10 degree difference between the flow and the return pipes on a rad.

I have a rad that has no hand valve covers on top so I dont really know which is the lockshield and which is the regulator. My rad thermometers tell me that the difference is just over 20 degrees, the only thing is my instict tells me that the flow pipe is the cooler at the moment.

Anyway, is there an easy way of finding out which is the flow and which is the return?

Brian.

Sponsored Links
leave the system to cool

then turn it on and see which gets hot first

Voila its the flow

:)

Sorry to be blunt but the flow brings heat from the boiler and the return goes back to the boiler to collect more heat. So leaving aside your instinct take a wild guess at which will be the hotter.

its really nice when you get honest, straight forward, helpful advice.

Thanks Corgiman - you're a gent!

Sponsored Links
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to be blunt but the flow brings heat from the boiler and the return goes back to the boiler to collect more heat. So leaving aside your instinct take a wild guess at which will be the hotter.

:LOL: like that one

Hi.

My DIY book tells me that there should be about a 10 degree difference between the flow and the return pipes on a rad.

Brian.

Only true for old systems, boilers installed today need 20
If you do not know how to find the flow and return, do not even think about balancing. Unless you want to crank up a plumber’s income

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back