Flow and Return Pipe Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - hoping for some advice.

I have a 'spur' (if that's what it's called) running off the flow and return pipes near my boiler. This spur goes to and from a heat exchange for and old pool which I want to remove. There's a valve on the spur's flow pipe which is closed so there's no flow to the heat exchange.

Given the above scenario, when I remove the heat exchange, is there any special consideration that I should give to the return pipe coming out the heat exchange which of course spurs back on the boiler's main return pipe? Can I just leave that return pipe disconnected or should I cap or or should I join it to the flow pipe that once went into the heat exchange?

I suppose I'm worried about a) water coming back down the return pipe if I don't cap it or b) any impact on the pressure for my central heating etc.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Is there a valve on the Return also?? if not you will have to drain down to remove the heat exchanger.

Any pipe that is left unused should be capped and preferably be cut back to the branch, You must not link the flow & return together as this could cause a loss of circulation around the main circuit ;)

Hi - thanks for the reply. There isn't a valve on the return, but there is a pump (which isn't even connect to power).

I have taken the cover off the heat exchanger and it's bone dry inside - there doesn't seem to be any water coming from the return (and obviously not the flow either as that valve is closed).

If there's no sign of any water, should I still drain down or can I get away with disconnecting and capping without draining?

Yes I read somewhere that unused pipes should be cut back to the branch (bacteria etc.?) - I'll do that when I get a new boiler early next year. In the short-term, I just need to a quick way of getting rid of the heat exchanger.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back