Central heating for electric-only property? Advise needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can advise us on suitable options for an electric only property...

Currently we have storage heaters (5years old) on economy 7 tariff in 2 bed flat, built in 1890 with large windows and high ceilings (ie an old property). Problem is heating during night means flat is boiling at 4am in the morning and by 8pm the house is cold, with no opportunity to further heat the house. (We resort to a small plug-in electric radiator).

I need a stable and efficient heating solution to ensure that the house is a constant and regulated temperature. Note that we have no access to gas and the property is listed so we are restricted in what we are able to install.

Options I have researched so far are:
1. Replace storage heaters with installed panel radiators and go on a standard electricity tariff.

2. Replace storage heaters with an electric wet central heating system and go on a standard electricity tariff.

Can anyone advise if what other options might be available to us? Or if the options I have researched a good idea?

Any thoughts and advise would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Thermal store with a coil as well as bottom immersion.

Small electric boiler connected to the coil.

Normal wet Central heating system connected to the store.

Heat the store over night on the cheap tariff, have the electric boiler for reserve heat and hot water during the day.

Simples.

My parents changed their storage heater system to oil filled panel radiators and find the house temp much more controllable, and the cost is about the same, or slightly cheaper IIRC, than the old system. Probably your cheapest option too since you could probably use the existing wiring.

Sponsored Links
With five year old heaters, they shouldn't give out too much heat while charging provided the output control is set as low as possible. Might be worth re-reading the usage instructions and experimenting with input control / output control settings before committing to significant expenditure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back