central heating help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved to a new flat. It has a baxi bermuda gas fire in the living room, with thermostat knob below fire. In my cupboard next to fire is a Randall 103 timer

Can anyone tell me if there is a leaflet to explain how these work?

I can use the fire, and some of the radiators heat up no problem, but i have 2 radiators which dont heat up, i have tried to bleed but only clear water comes out!!

Also my water is not very hot, any ideas, the property has been empty for about 6 months or more

all help apreciated

Sponsored Links
thnx for that m8, is it easy if i wanted to take out the gas fire and block it off, i do not really need it for the size of the room

could i get seperate controls for my heating then?

dunno if this makes sense, just i dont really have a clue about this stuff

if you remove the gas fire you cant use the boiler

not really if it is a gravity system

does the pump run when you only have hot water switched on ??

Sponsored Links
it seems i can only have the hot water on whilst the heating is on, have just bought the flat and trying to do it up so havent really had time to have a proper look at it

how would i just get hot water on and no heating?

sorry again if i sound dumb

ok m8 not got round to looking at it yet

thanx again

would it cost a lot to change to a combi or a diff boiler?, just think that the fire is quite unsightly

SOunds like it's a sytem where the HW heats by gravity circulation whenever the boiler's on, and the timer would bring the pump on to heat the radiators.
If there's no thermostat on the HW cylinder, the water temp will be controlled by the boiler's thermostat.

Combi replacement- aboout £1600 to 2400 in SE, see what Kev says - -he lives north of Watford.

look for one of these
cylinder.jpg

might not be blue though

ok m8, will go up into loft and have a look

thanks for your help

last question (for now0

if the fire cant be removed could it be replaced with a newer fire?

depends on the exact model of the boiler
there is a number on it 401, 552,45/3, 57/3, 45/4, 57/4, 51/5

renewal fire fronts are expensive tho

Just noticed you said Randall 103. That's a single channel timer. Unless there's another switch somewhere you would have to have CH and HW on together. If you used a 102 or something more modern (60's technology instead of 50's....) you should be able to have HW by itself, timed separately. You'd still only get CH when the HW is on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back