Central Heating LPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi central heating system in spain run on LPG
I find that if I run it on butane it leaves about 10% in the bottle
but if I use Propane it uses it all. Any Ideas why .
And which Gas would you advice to run the system on
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use Propane.

Butane is normally used for leisure appliances such as BBQ's and patio heaters etc.

Regards.

I think that this will be an ambient temperature issue...when its cold, butane has more difficulty vapourising, and propane does not.
There's more calorific value in butane gas, but propane is more dependable in low temperatures.
John :)

might have something to do with the pressure it is stored at. Propane is stored at 7bar and i think butane is only stored at 2bar. Better off with propane anyway.

Sponsored Links
I have a combi central heating system in spain run on LPG
I find that if I run it on butane it leaves about 10% in the bottle
but if I use Propane it uses it all. Any Ideas why .
And which Gas would you advice to run the system on
Thanks

The performance will be very poor if your boiler is set up for propane & you're using butane!!! Propane injectors etc are much smaller.

you should run any appliance on one type of fuel only.
propane and butane are not the same and it is not safe to run a gas boiler on a fuel it is not designed for.

So Rego which one would you recommend as the regulater says Butane or Propane when you get the kit for convertion you only have one burner
that just says LPG

Some boiler's (all ?) need to be specically set up for either Butane (G30 ) or Propane (G31 ) ???

on the convertion kit it gives you the full instuctions on how to change the
burner then theres a switch to change it from NG to LPG but nothing about
any settings for Butane G30 or PropaneG31

What boiler have u got ?? for example on the Biasi Prisma's (old boiler's) ,the max burner pressure for LPG is 35mbar , Butane 26 mbar , N.G 11 mbar ????

I have looked ay some other manual's , I do not have a performa M.I to hand , but Ideal mini c only make ref' to propane G31 , J&S propane only G31 , Ravenheat make ref to both G30 &G31 but with different burner pressure's !! I would suggest U look at the M.I's & or contact potterton , unless someone else on here can furnish u with the specific imfo ?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back