central heating manifold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of green funny looking manifolds on my central heating, with 22m pipes going in and out of each end, and three rows of four spurs along each, some have pipes attached, some not.
anyone got any ideas what these exactly are, I have some pics

Sponsored Links
no, microbore is the answer, your heating system is plumbed in microbore

Sponsored Links
no, sorry, I know its a 10mm microbore system its just that I want to know what type of manifold this is, does it have any internal valves etc...

In simple term,instead of having pipe spuring of each other at difference pipe,it easier to have a manifolds header which connect all the pipes together.

this manifold is on a run of pipe that goes from boiler then back to boiler.
my plumber says this is called a one pipe system and he cut the pipe after the manifold, stoppered it up and attached another one to the return pipe. now the heating doesnt work properly.
My guess is that the manifold on this system has some internal valves that in effect perform the same job of turning it to a two pipe system.
Is it important which flow /return pipes are connected to which spurs on the manifold?

My Dad fitted a microbore system in 1976 and it's still running fine.
When he layed out all the pipework, there was basically a downstairs and upstairs manifold.

Each manifold has 2 halves - internally seperated. One half if flow, and one return. A 22mm pipe from the boiler (flow) goes into one side of it, and a 22mm (return) goes into the other.

Each radiator connects to both sides of the manifold by 8 or 10mm tubes.
To add a radiator, locate a "spare" blanked connection on each side of the manifold, and add flow and return tubes to each.

This system is not "one pipe"
Paul

cheers
that what I thought it was, my plumber who has rearranged the pipes into a spaghetti type mess under my floorboards (for a fee) doesnt think so, surprise surprise!!
anyone else who can give me some idea of what this manifold would be called, pics etc... would be greatly appreciated before I sue the plumber!!

Monkey,
Give one of the stockists a call, they may be able to help you.
I tried to find a supplier with a web site showing components, but could only get lists of stockests.
Do a google search for "microbore merchants"

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back