CH Manifold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have 22mm flow and return pipes running parallel to each other centrally from front to back of my house in the void under the floorboards upstairs (each 22mm pipe is approx. 8 metres long). At each end of each of these pipes is a manifold where the pipes to/from the radiators are connected (mostly 8mm microbore to the rads). Some of these 8mm runs to the rads are 6-7 meters long. The airing cupboard/pump is located directly on top of the 22mm pipes and about 2/3's the way along the run.

I need to replace and move 3 rads and their new locations will end up being much closer to the 22mm pipes than currently. The new rads will be 1800x452mm column rads (3262 BTUs each).

My question is, can I tee off anywhere along the 22mm flow and return pipes and run the new supply pipes to the new rads (runs of probably only 3 metres max in 10mm) and then just cap off some of the manifold outlets that are now not needed? (the other rads that are not being moved will still be connected by 8mm to the manifolds) Or do the pipes to the new rads still have to come off the manifolds at the ends of the 22mm pipes (even though this means much longer runs to the rads?)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The manifold is probably to make it simpler to install and commission, but as you suspect the water is the same everywhere. So long as your system is big enough you should be able to add the rad and still balance it properly. We have two manifolds, one for each floor, but they are centrally located. Disclaimer is I'm not a pro!

Yes, what you propose to do will be fine. Shouldn't cause any problems with balancing. Switching away from 8mm pipes from the manifold is poss a good thing, as manifolds and small bore increase the chances of blockages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back