Central Heating Nightmare - Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is my first post, and i am grateful for anyone who has looked or can help.

I am having a nightmare with my central heating, basically its not heating up my flat.
i've got a valiant Combi boiler and can have the heating on for hours and the place will not get hot (at temp of 30), the rads are hot to touch (only three out of 5 on - 2nd bedroom and bathroom ones off) but the rooms are not warming up - the heating seems to just take the 'edge' off the cold.

any advise would be fantastic

Sponsored Links
how long have you stayed there?if the rads are hot,theres a chance they are undersized.You will probably notice it more now the outside temp is 0.jumper and a snood for xmas(winterville) :D

If the radiators you have on are hot then they might just be too small. If you are cold, I suggest turning all the radiators on; internal walls are rarely insulated and turning radiators off in unused rooms might not save as much as you hope. If that works, then a little 'wastage', heating empty rooms in cold weather, is going to be cheaper than calling a plumber in to upgrade the radiators you use.

Something else to consider, if you try to keep some rooms cold, be careful to ventilate to outside to prevent mould. A cold bathroom will get much more condensation than a heated one. If you insist on not heating the bathroom, you might need to use vapour-proof paints to stop condensation from baths and showers being absorbed by the ceiling and walls.

Is there any reason why the 2nd bedroom and bathroom are off,or do they just not work?

Sponsored Links
HI

I will turn on the 2nd bedroom heater, the bathroom also has a towel rail, so the rad is not really needed (i thought, thats why i turned it off)

The rads dont seem to small for the rooms, the rooms are average size, the bedroom rad is about a meter long and the living room one is about a meter and a half

Just to add....i tried to turn on the rad in the 2nd bedroom, but it will not heat up and the pipes leading to it are cold???

what could this mean?

Have you tried bleeding the radiator? It's probably full of air or hydrogen.

Sounds to me like you have no insulation in your attic, if it's an upstairs flat.

Have you tried bleeding the radiator? It's probably full of air or hydrogen.

Sounds to me like you have no insulation in your attic, if it's an upstairs flat.

thanks

yes i have, but all that comes out is water - no air

their is insulation in the attic

Turn the dial on the front of the boiler with the radiator symbol next to it up to max, make sure that both the valves on the rads are open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back