Central heating not circulating - even after pump replacement

The Grundfos ups3 has to be the worst pump on the market when trying to get air out & circulate. Had nothing but bother with them on open & sealed systems.
We've actually removed & refitted the old style pumps on boiler installs, removed the manual bleed screw & had systems back up & running within minutes ,
The auto venting just doesn't work.
We've lost multiple hours trying to vent systems , sometimes retuning to the job the following day , hoping that's its managed to clear the air.
worst design ever ,
Just give us back a pump with a manual bleed screw :unsure:

Yeah, I suspect the system was designed with a pump as a bleed point? I'm thinking it might be worth adding a bleed valve to the boiler pipework if I next do any work on it - though I'm not sure where I'd squeeze it in. Replacing the pump with something that cant be manually bled just causes a host of trouble.

What model WILO did you install? and what mode and setting??
And what is the power and flow?? How many rads?
I installed the PICO 6m head version. I think I just set it to fixed power setting 2 just to be happy it's working while testing. We've got 13 radiators (9 downstairs), and the water heater so I set the pump, so I'll probably set it between the low and medium setting:
1716453506799.png

Thanks for all the help everyone

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I suspect the system was designed with a pump as a bleed point? I'm thinking it might be worth adding a bleed valve to the boiler pipework if I next do any work on it - though I'm not sure where I'd squeeze it in. Replacing the pump with something that cant be manually bled just causes a host of trouble.

I installed the PICO 6m head version. I think I just set it to fixed power setting 2 just to be happy it's working while testing. We've got 13 radiators (9 downstairs), and the water heater so I set the pump, so I'll probably set it between the low and medium setting:
View attachment 344030
Thanks for all the help everyone
Fixed speed II, C2, is a pretty good choice on that pump at 3.8M, (the UPS3 even on fixed speed I is still 4.2M). If/when you do set it to PP mode, note the power with all rads on and with a cold system, then keep adjusting the PP setting until you get the same power, the selected PP head will flash for a few seconds after each adjustment, you will probably see it at ~ 4.8M ish, you can then, later, make any fine adjustments as required.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back