Central heating not coming on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for advice with a keston c36 combi boiler. The theemostat calls for the heating but the boiler doesnt respond. If i run the hot water for a bit then the heating kicks in. Ive read this might be the divertor valve or a capacitor.

Can anyone confirm this is the right line of attack?

(thermostat pt plus, appears to be working correctly)

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/keston-c-36-central-heating-issue.498729/#ixzz58iXr7DdK

Sponsored Links
Definitely sounds like diverter valve to me. Just out of intrest if you run your hot water to run a bath or have a shower does your boiler cut out in overheat?

No it doesn't cut out (yet). I find that if i turn the boiler off and on the heating will kick in

I would check the microswitch on the diverter but more likely to be a air pressure switch related problem. Not really enough info to tell. Have you got ivy in your flue terminal?

Sponsored Links
So if you run your hot water for long periods your heating comes on? If so I heard a while back that some combi boilers do this as a way of disbursing heat out off the boiler to avoid overheating and cutting out. Kind of like a bypass valve.

The centel heating will only come on if i run the hot water or i turn the whole system off and on again. Kinda like a reset.

Sorry hard to pin point an exact problem with the situations given.

Does the receiver light up when you use the stat ? drayton digistats are well known for the capacitor to fail in the receiver.

Yep green light comes on. So is calling for heating but temp doesnt go up till i turn hot water on or turn boiler on and off

Green light might be on but can you hear the relay click when you turn the stat up ?

Drawing a bit of hot water, the boiler fires. Turn off hot water ch continues to run.
Problem with flue/APS, boiler turns on for ch, fan runs at 70%, not enough flow to trip APS.
Draw HW, fan runs at 100%, Aps trips & boiler fires.
No guarantee just the first area that I would be checking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back