Central Heating not getting hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anybody assist me?

I have recently moved into a house that had no heating whatsoever.

I have managed to get the domestic hot water working by installing a new immersion heater but the central heating is not getting hot.

I have switched on the WILO pump and can hear it working but stil radiators are not getting hot.

I have attached a image as to how my system looks:
system.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank-you

John

Sponsored Links
What type of boiler do you have and is it firing? You must give far more info than you have. eg make/model of boiler would be a start.

Hi

All I can see is that the pipes going down stairs go down behind an old coal fire, no other boiler exists.

Thanks

John

Sounds like a back box. Can you post a pic of the fire.
How many radiators do you have and where are they? All upstairs? Up and down?
Is the fire ok to light? Has the chimney been swept/checked? What gets hot when the fires going?
Sounds like you need a boiler.........

Sponsored Links
The fire is not in a condition to be fired up, it has had its front removed and is beyond repair. The fireplace is going to be simply covered over and not removed.

I have 3 Radiators downstairs and 4 upstairs.

Could I bypass this fireplace and fit an electric bolier? and if so where would be the best place to do that? Could it be done at the existing pump?

Thanks

John

yes, whatever work is done to get the heating going you want to lose the deadleg going down behind the fire. No point heating it.
Although I wonder if it could be fitted as an auto bypass route?? Just putting that out there - expect to get shot down in flames.
An electric boiler is an option I guess. Not too up on them if I'm honest.
Is mains nat gas available near you? Neighbours got it, or oil or lpg?
I think the existing tank, rads, pipework and pump would need to be accessed.

No gas available, only electric.

My worry is this fireplace seems to be built in very solid and will not budge so was just looking at a way of bypassing it instead of removing etc.

don't worry about removing it. Just cap/disconnect the pipes in the airing cupboard that go to it. If you isolate the tank that feeds it in the loft(left hand in your image) and drain the rads etc first.

Just cap/disconnect the pipes in the airing cupboard that go to it
Be VERY careful as to what pipes are disconnected and capped, if you cap the wrong ones you may be making a homemade bomb.

True. Should've been clearer. Apologies.
Disconnect flow and return from backbox. Leave open to vent. Drain backbox. Either syphon or drill holes in back box.
Alter remaining pipework in A/C to suit new boiler and controls.

Hi All

Thank-you for the replies

Could you advise me if I am correct in my thoughts:

The below image refers:

Pipes A,B,C,D all lead downstairs and go in behind the fireplace. Could I connect D and C together and A and B together to take out the fireplace loop.

Then could I install a bolier like this:

http://www.trianco.co.uk/salespdf/aztecclassicandgold_sales.pdf

Which pipes would it then feed into?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you
system2.jpg

C&D look to be your heating circuit, so thats what would got to the new boiler, but it also looks like you have a radiator circuit of your primarys possibly to a bathroom radiator so to make that radiator to work it should also be tapped into C&D.

Just disconnect all the pipes dropping down so you only have the 22mm pipes and remove the 28mm pipes along with the boiler.

Remove the heating tank and cap off heating vent and heating cold feeds.

connect A to C
conect D to B

then connect A to boiler
and B to boiler

Install associated safety valves and controls as per manufacturers instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back