Central heating not switching on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have an old gravity fed gas central heating boiler. The hot water works fine, but recently the heating failed to come on. I checked the thermostat which appeared to be sending the correct live signal to the junction box when the stat was turned up. The problem appeared to be with the synchron motor as when I pushed the lever to manual the central heating fired up.

I duly replaced the motor and initially the heating still did not come on. However, after a while it did and has been turning on fine for the last fortnight. However, the same problem has occurred again.

Is this likely to be a second failed synchron motor (can I test it?) or could some this else be causing the problem?

Many thanks
Malcolm

Sponsored Links
There are Plans I think Honeywell invented them, C, Y, S, W etc, without knowing which hard to say, you say synchronous motor so assume your talking about a motorised valve? In the valves there are often V3 micro switch
temp.jpg
which are well know for sticking and failing, the idea is a cam on valve operates switch as it opens so pump and boiler don't run if valve not open, with Y and C plans the DHW is default so that will often work even if valve not open.

Often one can renew valve head without the base, saves draining water, but must ensure valve is free to work. With the Y plan you have a three port valve, and if hot water called for it can cause the system to seem to work, even when the valve is faulty. To allow bleeding the system there is a manual lever on the valves, but with three port it only opens it half way.

Often one can work out if valve is open as lever goes slack and often there is an indicator, but Y plan have change over contacts in the DHW tank thermostat which if not working can stop central heating from working, also change over contacts in the programmer, so there are 4 items.
1) Programmer
2) Motorised valve
3) Tank Thermostat
4) Wall thermostat
Any one of these going faulty can stop central heating working with Y plan. So first what plan are you using, are there motorised valves and if so how many ports 2 or 3 and how many valves.

Hi
I must be honest, I am not sure which plan I have. There is only the one motorised valve

Attachments

• 09C3D5A5-E8C6-41E8-AB5E-A3BF959D67C5.jpeg
    09C3D5A5-E8C6-41E8-AB5E-A3BF959D67C5.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 4A4C0A2B-2D7D-469E-BD66-1738599FABD5.jpeg
    4A4C0A2B-2D7D-469E-BD66-1738599FABD5.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 90
  • A48E3B10-F4B2-4CB4-B78E-E3C92D888C1D.jpeg
    A48E3B10-F4B2-4CB4-B78E-E3C92D888C1D.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 95
You have a Y plan system. Change the whole 3 port valve.

Sponsored Links
Wiring is industry standard on all ,as are port identity. Stick to Honeywell or Drayton, and steer clear of cheaper alternatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back