Central Heating not turning off - Glow-worm 30r + British Gas Up2 + Honeywell Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

First of all just want to say you guys are very kind to offer support on this forum. In less than an hour I've learnt a lot just by searching for similar problems.

Here is my situation:

- Glow-worm 30r Boiler: I believe this is ALWAYS set to CH + HW, earlier I saw the CH icon flashing meaning it was increasing the temp for water going to the radiators. Currently it is a solid CH icon + HW icon. We never alter the settings on this since it is our understanding that we should use the Up2.

- British Gas Up2 Control Panel: We permanently set the HW to ON and when winter comes around we toggle the CH between ON and OFF. Currently it is OFF meaning none of my radiators should be hot

- Honeywell Thermostat: Currently at lowest setting (0?) to try and alert system that no CH is required.

Despite this set up, where CH is off and HW is on, all of my radiators upstairs bar one are hot and only one radiator downstairs is hot. Not warm but actually hot as if CH was on.

From my limited understanding, the Up2 only controls some valves which divert hot water to CH / HW tank, so this valve could not be operating properly/stuck. This makes sense but surely this should heat up all radiators then and not only half. If we turn on the CH via Up2, all the radiators (bar 2 which don't work) heat up.

This problem occurred at the end of last winter but I believe my dad manually cut the power to the system in hopes that something would happen, and something did, the CH turned off, all set for a nice summer. Problem repeated couple days ago when it got a bit cold and my mum toggled the CH on Up2.

Any ideas? I might try turning off HW on Up2 but being left with no HW is worse than CH if a "valve" gets stuck in another place.

Also, is the Up2 supposed to override the Boiler modes, i.e. if I manually turn off CH from the boiler itself, is this supposed to override any Up2 settings or not?

uFBn0Ww.jpg

EmOGrTA.jpg
cngHpog.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Have you sort out your heating problem? I know it is over 2 years now. I just have the same problem as you.

Hi Delia its better if you start your own thread as you may have a different set up to the original poster.

Delia - A fix this week for a similar issue, was that the installation included what is known as a frost stat. The idea being that if the temperature falls to a level where there is a risk of freezing, the stat is able to override both the room stat and time settings, to bring the heating on to avoid the system freezing. The normal setting for a frost stat is 5C, but sometimes users misunderstand their purpose and turn the setting up. Might you have one and might it have been turned up?

Sponsored Links
Delia - A fix this week for a similar issue, was that the installation included what is known as a frost stat. The idea being that if the temperature falls to a level where there is a risk of freezing, the stat is able to override both the room stat and time settings, to bring the heating on to avoid the system freezing. The normal setting for a frost stat is 5C, but sometimes users misunderstand their purpose and turn the setting up. Might you have one and might it have been turned up?
Hi Harry,
Thank you for your reply . I am not quite sure if I got a foray stat. I will check it . If you see my own thread , it is explained more my issues .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back