Central heating not turning on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had previously switched off the central heating unit by switchin off the main switch as shown in the image below. I did this because I felt the heating unit was continuously running and my electricity bill was shooting up.

The problem is that when I turn on the main switch it doesn’t turn on and the controller still is off. There are no signs of it turning on.
Any idea what might be wrong. Do I need to call a professional help here ?

Any guidance or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 42EB76EC-7D62-45FE-AF68-37303C570778.jpeg
    42EB76EC-7D62-45FE-AF68-37303C570778.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
I had previously switched off the central heating unit by switchin off the main switch as shown in the image below.
I don't see the main switch, only a central heating timeswitch / programmer.

If the main switch is 'on' and the programmer isn't powering up the most common causes would be either the fuse in the main switch (aka fused connection unit) or the programmer itself is faulty. The fuse is easy to check, and if you are electrically competent and able to use a multimeter safely it's not too difficult to carry out some basic checks at the programmer, and we can give you some pointers. If you are not electrically competent or don't have a multimeter, then you need to call in a professional to look at if for you.
I did this because I felt the heating unit was continuously running and my electricity bill was shooting up.
The programmer you show would normally be associated with a gas / oil fired central heating system, in which case the electrical consumption would be relatively small for just the boiler controls, and pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back