Central Heating not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I would share this in case anyone had the same problem. My heating was not working but hot water was fine. After bleeding radiators checking header tank and after testing that the thermostat was working. I isolated the problem down to the pump. The power supply to the pump was fine and it became obvious that the pump had packed up. I was just going to check prices online for a new pump when I had a thought. The heating was fine at the end of the last cold season and there was no strange noises from the pump. Perhaps the pump had just got stuck. So I switched the power on and hit the pump a few times (gently) with my lump hammer. Suddenly it started working and within a couple of minutes all of the radiators stared to get hot.

I think I have managed to save myself ££. But perhaps this is a sign of the pump on the way out? and maybe I have just bought a bit of time. if anyone can advise let me know

Sponsored Links
You should have spent your time looking at the FAQ on this site.

You would have seen how to spin your pump to free it up. Hitting things rarely is a good idea!

Running heating for five minutes every week prevents this from happening.

You have an old and inefficient system and converting it to fully pumped with thermostatic controls might save 10-15% of gas every year as well as getting faster reheat for the hot water.

Tony

I wish I knew this before, but I had read that someone undid the screw and hot water spirted out.

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
A little water may come out, particularly on Wilo pumps.

You just have an old towel handy.

If its a stand alone pump then you can close the pump valves first !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back