Central heating ok but no hot water

wiggikins said:
Probably looking at a clogged up plate heat exchanger then !
Check F.A.Q's for solution Keith.

Thanks for the response Keith. I have had a look through the Sticky thread named "FAQ's & Plumbing Tips" but I can't find any reference to a Plate Heat Exchanger here :confused: Is this where you mean that I should look

Nor can I can't find any reference to this part in the user manual either, although there is something called a Water to Water Heat Exchanger. Is this the same thing?

Sponsored Links
I've done a bit of investigation again this morning and as part of that, I disconnected and removed the hot water temperature sensor. I gave the unit and the contacts a clean and refixed it and the hot water is now back upto its correct temperature. :confused: but :D

Does this sound as though my hot water problem is finally sorted or is it more likely to be just a coincidental bit of luck that won't last?

wiggikins said:

Thanks for the response Keith. I have had a look through the Sticky thread named "FAQ's & Plumbing Tips" but I can't find any reference to a Plate Heat Exchanger here :confused: Is this where you mean that I should look

Nor can I can't find any reference to this part in the user manual either, although there is something called a Water to Water Heat Exchanger. Is this the same thing?

Yes it is :D Keith.

I've done a bit of investigation again this morning and as part of that, I disconnected and removed the hot water temperature sensor. I gave the unit and the contacts a clean and refixed it and the hot water is now back upto its correct temperature. :confused: but :D

Does this sound as though my hot water problem is finally sorted or is it more likely to be just a coincidental bit of luck that won't last?

More likely than not this will be atemporary solution, it will come back to haunt you if you don't have the plate heat exchanger cleaned/de-scaled,
also not a bad idea to flush out the heating system as well. Keith. :D

Sponsored Links

think you have been quite lucky, I would replace sensor as it will only fail soon!

Could it still have been something to do with the plate heat exchanger though? or is the temperature sensor more likely to have been the only culprit?

Could it still have been something to do with the plate heat exchanger though? or is the temperature sensor more likely to have been the only culprit?

yes the sensor is a defo culprate, would try that first...cheeper and easier!

wiggikins said:

WHERE? :eek:

wiggikins said:

I thought that Keith, in his answer "Yes it is", was maybe referring to the plate heat exchanger being the same thing as the Water to Water Heat Exchanger shown in my manual? not to my question about the FAQ'S

I too though, would still like to know where in the FAQ's, it refers to the Heat Exchanger, as I can't find it

wiggikins said:

I thought that Keith, in his answer "Yes it is", was maybe referring to the plate heat exchanger being the same thing as the Water to Water Heat Exchanger shown in my manual? not to my question about the FAQ'S

I too though, would still like to know where in the FAQ's, it refers to the Heat Exchanger, as I can't find it

You are quite right in surmising that iwas reffering to the heat exchanger and NOT F.A.Q's,with reference to that subject ,my profound apoloigies
gents for leading you up the wrong path ,i,wrongly assumed it would be covered in F.A.Q's . Perhaps with the benefit of hindsight it may prove wise to check manufacturers instructions.Keith :oops:

Wiggikins.

If you would like to add your own post about heat exchangers in the FAQs,, please feel free. ;)

Ahhhhhh……..back to ‘luke warm’ water once again :(

Just to summarise where things are upto then:-

1) Diverter valve and microswitch appear to be doing what they are supposed to be doing, given the c/h flow pipe test already carried out.

2) The temperature sensor sounds as though it might be faulty and as this is a relatively cheap and easy to install, I will change this for a new one.

3) I assume that the plate heat exchanger should get as hot as the c/h flow pipe when the c/h is running and similarly the plate heat exchanger should get as hot as the domestic hot water out pipe, when there is demand for hot water?

Is there an operational test that I can do to check whether the plate heat exchanger is working correctly or whether it is clogged-up/requires de-scaling.

How do I clean-out/de-scale the plate heat exchanger and would it require removing to do this or can it be done in-situ?

4) What is the reason for flushing out the central heating system as this is working fine?

5) Is there anything else which is likely to be causing this problem which is easy to check and/or cheap to replace, just so as to discount it?

Wiggikins.

If you would like to add your own post about heat exchangers in the FAQs,, please feel free. ;)

Coz' it's Sat evening now i'd sooner chill and get back to Planet Rock.com,why not check it out, ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

I'm going to try something today.

A mate of mine has got the same boiler as me and he's happy to 'lend' me the hot water temperature sensor out of his boiler, which is working fine, to test on mine to see if that's causing the problem, so I'll give it go. Nothing to lose really as I don't think that there is anywhere open today where I could pick one up and even getting one tomorrow, the supplier will probably have to order me one in anyway?

Any takers on my other questions above :rolleyes:

I'm going to try something today.

A mate of mine has got the same boiler as me and he's happy to 'lend' me the hot water temperature sensor out of his boiler, which is working fine, to test on mine to see if that's causing the problem, so I'll give it go. Nothing to lose really as I don't think that there is anywhere open today where I could pick one up and even getting one tomorrow, the supplier will probably have to order me one in anyway?

Any takers on my other questions above :rolleyes:

Well that was a none starter.......Someone has previously had a go at the hot water temperature sensor on my mates boiler and has wrecked the screw heads on both screws which hold the sensor in place. :cry: God help him if he ever needs to swap his sensor over but I couldn't get either of the screws to budge.

Just thinking about what the temperature sensor actually does though, if it was faulty, would it not either a) give hot water at its maximum temperature only or b) give no hot water at all.

My water is luke warm but the burners stay constantly fired-up whilst there is demand for hot water, so the sensor is correctly not sending a signal to the burners to switch off as the water is not reaching temperature. Just a thought :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back