Central heating ok but no hot water

I'm going to try something today.

A mate of mine has got the same boiler as me and he's happy to 'lend' me the hot water temperature sensor out of his boiler, which is working fine, to test on mine to see if that's causing the problem, so I'll give it go. Nothing to lose really as I don't think that there is anywhere open today where I could pick one up and even getting one tomorrow, the supplier will probably have to order me one in anyway?

Any takers on my other questions above :rolleyes:

Well that was a none starter.......Someone has previously had a go at the hot water temperature sensor on my mates boiler and has wrecked the screw heads on both screws which hold the sensor in place. :cry: God help him if he ever needs to swap his sensor over but I couldn't get either of the screws to budge.

Just thinking about what the temperature sensor actually does though, if it was faulty, would it not either a) give hot water at its maximum temperature only or b) give no hot water at all.

My water is luke warm but the burners stay constantly fired-up whilst there is demand for hot water, so the sensor is correctly not sending a signal to the burners to switch off as the water is not reaching temperature. Just a thought :confused:

Hi Again Mr M,
You are quite correct,the domestic water is not reaching temp,why you
may ask,answer ,as previously suggested plate H. E. FULL OF CRAP,
You need to remove H.E. and clean out , preferably with citric acid ,obtainable from merchants! Good Luck. Keith.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Ive had this same problem now for a couple of days. Looks like Ive found the answer here from you helpful people.

What I would like to know, is it a fairly simple job to remove and clean the heat exchanger?

Or is it a job for the professional?

HI

remove diverter valve then dismantle it see if diaphragm inside is sound
if split repalce the diaphragm

Take care with this Lunat!

He says he is CORGI registered but seems to have little experience of fixing even simple boiler faults.

In this thread everyone else is suggesting the heat exchanger and he is telling you to open the diverter!

You dont even need to open the diverter to test if its working anyway!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Mr M

I think that what Ben is trying to impart to you goes as follows,
1) Turn down your heating thermostat
2)Open ahot water draw off and allow to run for acouple of mins
3)Feel the C. H. FLOW Pipe for temp rise
4)If flow pipe warms up = Diverter Valve is the culprit!! :)

Keith.

OK, I have now done the above. C/H Flow pipe is stone cold :confused:

I checked this again on Friday last and the C/H flow pipe was now getting increasingly warmer as the hot water was run, it definately stayed cold when I previously checked it and I did check this on more than one occasion last week :confused:

Anyway, I decided to replace the diaphragm in the diverter valve and now have piping hot water :LOL:

The job itself was pretty straight forward and took me around 30 minutes from start to finish

On the diaphragm I removed, the rubber was all perished and there was a hole in it about 3mm long

Thanks to everyone who responded

HI
Well AGILE I was right it was diverter valve.
sometimes newly qualified can solve problems that experienced engineers cant :LOL:
AGILE please reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back