Central Heating - pipe riser first or last in circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am currently installing a new central heating system in my house, there is not currently a central heating system installed.

I have a combination boiler on the ground floor and will be using a two pipe radiator circuit serving radiators in the ground and first floors.

My question is...I have two potential layouts but I don't know which is best. Does it matter if the pipe riser to the first floor is at the start of the circuit or in the middle or at the end? Does this affect the performance of the pump in the boiler?

Option 1 - circuit serves ground floor radiators then rises to first floor to do the first floor radiators.

Option 2 - circuit rises to the first floor and serves the first floor radiators then drops to the ground floor and serves the ground floor radiators.

I reckon the pipe lengths will be similar for both options.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Neil

Sponsored Links
why are you fitting your own boiler and heating system when you don't know what your doing?
pay someone to do it properly
will save you a lot of money in the future as your work will need ripping out and re-doing
who is gonna do your gas pipe?
are you gase safe reg?

he is entitled to install his own radiators and water circulating pipes if he wants, and take up the floorboards and relay them. It is not at all complicated and is not gas work (unlike installing the boiler) but is labour intensive and takes time, so a competent DIYer can save some cost.

In a typical sized house is preferable to take a 22mm flow and return to the upstairs, and another to the downstairs, branching them off close to the boiler. You will then take 15mm pipes to and from each radiator.

If you decide to zone the upstairs and downstairs, it will be easy like that.

Sponsored Links
Option 3, split at boiler and do the upstairs and downstairs circuits separately from there, maybe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back