Boiler upstairs, radiator downstairs - problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central heating boiler (completely new installation in an old house that did not have central heating before) is located at the height of +/- 9m (on the 2nd floor in a house with three levels: i.e. ground floor and 2 floors. There are radiators on the first and second floor, all work superb. Only one radiator is added on the ground floor, to heat the entrance. This radiator is of the highest capacity if compared with other radiators, and it is connected directly to the main central heating leads on the first floor. This radiator does not work. Plumbers tried different manners of connecting it, but nothing helped.

I have heard that it is not possible to have a radiator on the ground floor that is powered by a central heating boiler located on the second floor, while it is possible to have radiators on all three floors when the boiler is on the ground floor? Is this true? The boiler is oversized i.e. it could power three times more radiators than it is connected to. Vertical pipes to bring water to the new radiator and return into the system from this radiator are connected independently from connections of other radiators on the first floor. Plumbers tried different ways of connecting the radiators i.e. different diameters and different positions of connection to the pipes on the first floor, also the radiator was chnanged with the same one, and system behaves the same. This radiator is connected in the center on the bottom side, one plumber now says it should be connected on the sides i.e. the pipe that brings hot water on one side of the radiator in the upper entry point, and the pipe that takes off the water on the opposite bottom side of the radiator... What should I do?

Sponsored Links
This system is capable of operating correctly. Either the system layout is wrong, it needs balancing, or there is a partial blockage or airlock. Try turning off all the radiators which are getting hot, this may clear an airlock in the problematic one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back