Central Heating Pipe Sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm replacing an ideal Mexico with a Potterton Promax SL (30Kw). The original heating pipework is 28mm from the boiler. I'm upgrading the system, so fitting a 3 port valve and also a magnaclean. Space is fairly tight and the pipework needs a fair bit of rerouting, so I was going to do the first couple of meters of the flow and return in 22mm instead of the 28mm currently installed.

Does anyone think there would be any issues with this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I do...

30kw and above normally needs 28mm flow and return, check the spec of the boiler.

Thanks to both of you.

xr4x4, the promax has 22mm connections although it does say in the MI that the 30Kw "should" have 28mm flow and return by means of a reducer. However, I'm looking for any possible adverse effects of first couple of meters of the flow and return being 22mm? is it really going to make any difference in terms of system performance?

Sponsored Links
onlyfitidealboilers, In the promax range the only one which there is mention of 28mm flow and return is the 30kw, the 24kw is fine with 22mm. The Worcester 30CDI regular boiler, another one I was looking at for this job, is 22m flow and return, so back to the original point, without referring to MI, is there any sh*t going to hit the fan if the first couple of meters were 22mm?
[/i]

I'd say 28mm from the boiler.
You say you'll be fitting a 3 port valve, I'd be inclined towards 2*2 ports, what's there at the moment?

twgas, it was gravity hot water, pumped central heating, so there were no valves there originally

30kw through a 3port valve on 22mm?

what other bits of the instructions do you think are not worth bothering with? what does your installer think?

different thread you are replacing an Ideal mexico with a Promax !!!! after at least 25 years of good service dont expect your new boiler to give you any where near as good service value

Salmon P, have you considered why you want to fit a 30 kW boiler?

Do you think bigger is better?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back