central heating pump size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all

I have a problem with our heating system. The boiler is a Potterton 80f F/R 28mm with a Drayton 28mm three port valve.Pipes to hot tank are 22mm the same as the heating. The pump is a Grundfoss 15/60.the problem is the boiler keeps overheating and cutting out, when the heating is on its ok on hot water alone. I have flushed the system. but cannot get the thermostat on the boiler above 2.5. Is the pump big enough or do I have another problem? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Is the pump working is it on the highest setting no3 is it the right way round? undo the centre nut
see if water comes out and check if pump is spinning,if all is right then you may have an airlock or
a blockage.Bob.

I think you are saying that the boiler is ok on hot water alone but
overheating on heating alone call. (The comma appears to be in the wrong place)

My view is the three port is at fault rather than the pump.

Sponsored Links
You need to check the temperature with a gauge to see what temperature the stat trips from memory I think it should trip at about 80 -90deg C.
If it trips lower it may require new stats you will need an rgi to investigate as you need to enter the combustion area.
I always replace both stats if they are faulty
You also need to check the difference between flow and return temperature this will confirm or rule out a blockage or pump failure a 15/60 pump is correct for this size boiler.

Could it be the pump size?.....I think Grundfoss 15-60 is more for very large or commercial system's, the 15-50 is the one for domestic system's

pump has worked in the past im guesing so the size should be ok. your pump may have slowed down due to wear, your boiler may have a problem with corrosion, the stat or something like a combustion or flue issue. when was the boiler last serviced?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back