pump and circulation problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a customer who has had problems with heat getting to all his radiators. 16 in total, on a 22kw Vaillant system boiler doing both his heating and hot water primaries. Boiler has now melted and requires changing. Have suggested bigger boiler, upgrading initial flow and return from boiler for first six metres from 22mm to 28mm, and serious powerflush of the system. Thought about changing from a system to open vented boiler with a pressure vessel and keeping it sealed. Any thoughts or helpful suggestions? is a 15/60 the biggest domestic pump out there?

Sponsored Links
changing system boiler to an open vent AND using a pressure vessel and keeping it sealed?

you cant have both!

Im no plumber but i have learned alot from my work and on here. it sounds like the system needs balancing for starters. My mother has 18 rads with an 18kw boiler and a Grundfos Alpha 15/60 pump doing the heating and hot water and this works fine, well it did AFTER she had a proper plumber in to fix the system after BG installed it!

what do you mean by the boiler melted??

personally i tend to prefer heat only with presure kits to system boilers.That way you can supply correct pump and vessel and not trely on the internal ones that dont always do the job.

if you think your going to have circulation problems i'd look at 28mm primaries with a 25-55 or 25-80 instead of a 15-60.

Sponsored Links
Would you like my relevant numbers so you can check? I did put 'helpful' suggestions at the bottom of my post. if you have nothing constructive to add, benthegasman, then please write nothing at all.

Would you like my relevant numbers so you can check?....
Your questions and statements did not give me the impression that you knew exactly what you are on about; could be due to shorthand version of posting, but just as well as lack of skill. We get cowboys pretending to be a RGI on a rather frequent basis.
If you really are a RGI, I suggest you send your details to admin with a request to give you access to the CC. You will find more help and of higher level than you could dream of. All free and for nothing.

Thank you, have already submitted my details and am awaiting access. i look forward to picking your brains. Always willing to learn....

Should be done by tomorrow.
You will find at least 2 guys that know better what to do with vaillants after a sixpack, than the 2 or us combined on tuesday morning.
What did you mean by "melted"? Did the boiler try to emulate a Response?

The front of the heat exchanger had warped, presumably through getting too hot and had melted the air intake tube, that thing that looks like a black plastic horn. The system's only five years old, and all the pipework looks fairly tidy. Someone obviously took some time over it but clearly there has been a problem.

Sounds like it has been running dry; never seen something that bad. Would have made a nice pic; we have had some interesting things posted on here.

Sounds like it has been running dry; never seen something that bad. Would have made a nice pic; we have had some interesting things posted on here.

to jason,

what was the model

was told by a BG mate, there was vaillants fitted without dryfire kits

as "our thermistors will pick up dramatic temp rise and shut off"

they never did!

weirdly vaillant will send out dry fire kit FOC if ye ask.........

cant remember model though :oops:

the early ones melted the air intakes due to a faulty seal on the burner/chamber. It should be changed at annual service.

it should have been changed under product recall to all registered boilers.

Even unreg'd ones,installers were asked to provide addresses in case they'd slipped through.

it should have been changed under product recall to all registered boilers.

Even unreg'd ones,installers were asked to provide addresses in case they'd slipped through.

what fault, burner seals or dry fire kit?

it was a Vaillant 622/2e system. I think it was an Ecomax but didnt note it down. Big old bulge in the exchanger door though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back