Live feed to boiler from primary circulation pump.

Does the boiler always shut off when the timeswitch clicks off (and does the pump always run on for exactly the same duration)? (Just wondering if someones made a boo boo & fed the valve microswitches from timeswitch output)
Hi thanks for the reply. The boiler always shuts off when the timeswitch clicks off and the pump continues to run, I'm not sure if it's the same length of time but I will find out.

Sponsored Links
well please explain where the powere for th pump is coming from then ? I await wit baited breath

I'm done with you mate, I'm just asking for some help not constant sarcasm from a key board warrior. I'm not going to attempt any electrics myself, I'm just trying to understand what he told me so I know what I'm asking for and I'm not going to get ripped off when I get someone to do the job. You are clearly very good at your job as I am but I'm not a gas engineer or electrician so just trying to make some sense of it. Thanks for your time.

If the pump is running for 5 mins after the timer switches off then it must be wired to the pump terminal at the boiler (unless someone's been clever and instigated another method).

Post pics of the system, what boiler model etc.

I have a Vaillant ecotec plus 418 boiler and my system is the image uploaded below. I will get a picture of the wiring in the boiler asap. I have a primary circulation pump that runs constantly when the timer control is on just circulating the thermal store to the boiler and back and a second pump that circulates the same thermal store water around my central heating system and back to the store. My hot water is mains pressure heated via a coil inside the thermal store.
20200707_082627.jpg

I'm done with you mate, I'm just asking for some help not constant sarcasm from a key board warrior. I'm not going to attempt any electrics myself, I'm just trying to understand what he told me so I know what I'm asking for and I'm not going to get ripped off when I get someone to do the job. You are clearly very good at your job as I am but I'm not a gas engineer or electrician so just trying to make some sense of it. Thanks for your time.
sorry lets start again, a pump over run works like this, the boiler has a permanent live, the pump is wired from the boiler, the boiler decides when th pump runs, you said that your pump over run was working so the wiring must be correct, not trying to be any kind of smart ass

Sponsored Links
I've attached images of my electrical board and the current wiring also two pages from the manual. I've timed the pump again tonight and it runs for 4mins36secs once the timer switches the boiler off, exact time as before.
20200729_195206.jpg
20200729_195206.jpg
20200729_201804.jpg
20200729_201848.jpg

Attachments

• 20200729_203036.jpg
    20200729_203036.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 55
So given the pump is not under the control of the boiler how is it running on after the boiler has shut down?
Can you post the wiring box (perhaps located near the thermal store cylinder)...maybe it is purpose designed.

So given the pump is not under the control of the boiler how is it running on after the boiler has shut down?
Can you post the wiring box (perhaps located near the thermal store cylinder)...maybe it is purpose designed.

Pump is wired into panel indicated with arrow, I can remove front tomorrow if required but granddaughter is in bed now and dont want to wake her.
20200729_210629.jpg

Think the answer will be in yon wiring centre...out of curiosity do you know if the controller, motorised valves etc predate the boiler or was the whole system redone 7 years ago? I can see why the engineer told you what he told you- you're lucky they've done the job under warranty, whoever wired it hasn't followed MIs by the look of it

Think the answer will be in yon wiring centre...out of curiosity do you know if the controller, motorised valves etc predate the boiler or was the whole system redone 7 years ago? I can see why the engineer told you what he told you- you're lucky they've done the job under warranty, whoever wired it hasn't followed MIs by the look of it

Only the boiler was changed 7 years ago everything else with the exception of the new ups3 pump, which was just a replacement for a grundfos pump on its last legs is as was.

That sounds right, its always much easier to start from scratch than to work out someone else's control scheme. Back in't day the boiler did what it was told by the controller (bit like old cars- foot on throttle=fuel and air to the engine). Nowadays there'll be a wee computer in there (just like your modern car- foot on throttle tells the computer you want to go faster, it has a look at whats going on & decides the appropriate action). Do you know the make/model of your timeclock? (Again just curious)

Darren

Do you realize that the manual you show is not the correct one for your boiler? The PCB does not have a terminal block for the pump, while the manual shows one. It's proably because yours is a different version of the 418 boiler. If you can provide the GC Number (on the data plate) we can identify the correct manual.

That sounds right, its always much easier to start from scratch than to work out someone else's control scheme. Back in't day the boiler did what it was told by the controller (bit like old cars- foot on throttle=fuel and air to the engine). Nowadays there'll be a wee computer in there (just like your modern car- foot on throttle tells the computer you want to go faster, it has a look at whats going on & decides the appropriate action). Do you know the make/model of your timeclock? (Again just curious)

Sorry for the delay, I've attached images of my timeclock. Thanks
20200730_220340.jpg

Attachments

• 20200730_191958.jpg
    20200730_191958.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 54
Darren

Do you realize that the manual you show is not the correct one for your boiler? The PCB does not have a terminal block for the pump, while the manual shows one. It's proably because yours is a different version of the 418 boiler. If you can provide the GC Number (on the data plate) we can identify the correct manual.

I'll get the number tomorrow but the manual I have has the boiler model on the front ecotec 418 plus and I thought the images below are showing the terminal block both in the manual and on the actual board?
20200730_220919.jpg
20200730_221008.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back