Central Heating pipes in concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again folks.

I discussed in a previous thread that I plan on repiping my old microbore system and was given some great advice. I have now decided that I also want to re-position a radiator in the kitchen as its in a daft place. To be fair, the radiator is there as its a concrete floor in the kitchen and its the easiest place to put it. I want to put it on another walll. Here are my questions to do it:

1) What is the best method for chasing a big enough channel in the concrete? The 2 pipes will be 15mm and the area they need to cross is 2m. I will probably run a channel for each pipe.

2) What pipe should I use as it will be a high traffic area of the kitchen? I will be using speedfit or similar for the rest of the system but im thinking copper for this.

3) Should the pipes be in some kind of protection i.e. foam insulation prior to pouring the new concrete on top. or is it better to cover with a steel plate or something to give future access? (the floor is laminated and will be after the work also.

4) how do I get it right? should i fit the radiator and valves to determine exactly where the pipe will have to rise at 90 degrees from the floor then mark where i need to chase.

Thanks in advance for any advise

Pippo :D

Sponsored Links
3) Should the pipes be in some kind of protection i.e. foam insulation prior to pouring the new concrete on top. or is it better to cover with a steel plate or something to give future access? (the floor is laminated and will be after the work also.

Not able to answer the other questions but if you are using copper pipes you should protect them as concrete will/can corrode them.

speedfit has a plastic conduit you run the tube in. I'd not really want to put aangle in the floor. I did however see a local plumber(maby not) get a tight bend on the pipe using hot water without crushing it. He said he had cut the pipe up in the past to check barrier hadn't split. use a big grinder to cut 2 slots in the floor then use a bolter and lump hammer to knock it out. mind you don't cut too deep and damage the DPM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back