Central Heating Pipes in Polystyrene Slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Fella's
Looking for the best way to route Hep2o pipes 22mm with 15mm offsets for radiators, the rooms will all be rendered so no plaster board cavity

A DPM over a Bison Beam floor followed by 100mm Polystyrene slabs and posibly finished with 50/75mm screed, the cosmetic finish has yet to be decided either tiles or timber.

Appreciate any sound advice.

Mick.

Sponsored Links
Fit a f&r manifold instead and lay 15mm runs (insulated) to the radiators over the top of the floor insulation.
No joints buried under/within the screed :!: :D

Thanks Norcon .. Interesting, currently the plan is for six rads downstairs so you would recommend each to have a F+R to a manifold point and the only buried connection would be an elbow for copper rad stabs.
Is there any preference to have the manifold near to the boiler or can it be placed more central.

Cheers Mick

One of the few senarios where UFH might be a good option depending on the lifestyle of the inhabitants.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hello Tony.

Not really suitable for the natives :) ... Its the warm up cool/down that puts me off, a bit like the old night storage heaters.
If we had solar panels I'd be going for UFH.

Cheers Mick.

and the only buried connection would be an elbow for copper rad stabs.

No buried connection!
Sweep the pipes up at the walls. You can easily do that with 15mm hep.
(Drop it down into the floor insulation if you need to increase the sweep)
Fix a small baten ( vertically) to the wall at the correct centers and width from the wall.
Then clip the pipe on temporarily until the floor is screeded.
Have the pipe insulation just exiting the floor slightly.
You can fit clip on Talon radsnaps later or alternatively these.....
http://www.westradiators.co.uk/sleeve-kit-for-rad-valves.htm
Wood trims are also available for the pipe floor exits.

Is there any preference to have the manifold near to the boiler or can it be placed more central.

Have it placed as central as possible ( taking the main f&r into consideration also) then branch out to the rads from the manifold.
The manifold can be enclosed later (boxed in) with access provided if no discreet locations are available.

It sounds as though 22mm will supply the manifold.
Use a compression elbow for the 22mm. But don't screed it in.
Leave access! Just enough to tighten the joint if you have too.
The manifold enclosure can cover it or just leave it open depending on the location.

Thanks Again Norcon.

This plastic is all new to me, copper was my last claim to any fame so to speak, but Hep 2 was recommended as about the best.

I reckon with you stood over me I could even do open heart surgery :LOL:

Good Health Mick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back