Central heating loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) I have underfloor central heating which has proved inadequate.
2) I have decided to add 3 large radiators
3) The hot water flow from the boiler (in 22mm pipe) is approx 70 - 90 deg C. This is mixed with cooler water in a control unit before water is sent underfloor at approx 40 deg C. The return to the boiler is 15mm
4) Ideally I want to (a) take the flow to my loop of 3 rads from this 22mm pipe AND (b) take the return to this same pipe before it reaches the control unit. In this way I hope to extract the maximum amount of heat as the water passes around the complete circuit. My questions are:-
A) Will the water flow naturally around this loop given that start and finish are connected to the same source pipe?
B) Can I solve any problems by inserting 1 or 2 one way valves?
C) Or should I simply connect the return from the rad loop to the 15mm return to the boiler?

Sponsored Links
A) Will the water flow naturally around this loop given that start and finish are connected to the same source pipe?
B) Can I solve any problems by inserting 1 or 2 one way valves?
C) Or should I simply connect the return from the rad loop to the 15mm return to the boiler?

A] should flow if you pipe connections properly and use trvs specifically for a one pipe system.
B]do you mean check valves? no won`t solve problems will cause `em
C]that would be your best bet, trvs will be a fraction of the price,and your boiler manufacturer will advise this as best practise

Radiators are not on a loop; they are radials; fundamental difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back