Central Heating Pipes Under the Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to using two layers of polystyrene slabs to get me to the proposed floor level in a large ground floor extension and conservatory.

If I cut a channel in the bottom layer to run the radiator pipes in and then cover with the top layer of polystyrene should this be OK, the top slab will be 4" thick and the bottom 3" I am looking to use 15mm either Guest or Hep20 barrier pipe.

Cheers Mick.

Sponsored Links
I can't see any problem apart from having joints in the floor which may come back and bite you in the future! :(

what length run are the copper pipes
are you connecting from the flow and return or branching off a rad

Thanks for the reponses, not thinking of using copper but trying to run each radiator F&R back to an accss point and make up a manifold. The only joints would be elbows for the rad stabs as I doubt there would be enough room to shape a bend unless I used those behind the rad gizmo's, I might then be able to profile the pipe and avoid connectors.

Cheers Mick.

Sponsored Links
Not sure I'd want an inaccessable pushfit or compression joint under the floor.

Whatever you do, make sure you pressure test the pipe anyway, since it has been known for (even new ones) them to be faulty.

I can't see any problem apart from having joints in the floor which may come back and bite you in the future!

Go for the bend - behind the rads and then copper to valves with street elbows in copper -so it all tucks away :idea:[/quote]

Without doubt the system would be pressure tested in accordance, any thoughts on those behind the rad wall mounted jobbies ?

Cheers Mick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back