Plastic pipe for central heating is this right (no copper)

he should have told me what equipment his quote was including espescially an inferior product to copper.

who says plastic is inferior to copper ?

it ain't got the track record admittedly but i think you are jumping the gun a bit

plastic has its uses just as long as you can't see it ;)

Sponsored Links
I hate plastic with a passion, I don't know why maybe i'm just a bit old school. Maybe in 10 years if people houses are not flooding with water once the rubber perishes in the couplers then I might change my mind.

The heating system in my house was installed in copper in the 50's/60's, even now its been converted to a sealed system it still seems to be in good order with little to no corrosion on the inside of the pipework I have seen.

my plumber did use some plastic on the ground floor of my house recently where I didn't really want all my carpets lifting up so it does have its uses I guess.

As I said, give it a few years and some evidence of reliability and I probably will change my opinion.

Alternatively it could end up being the plumbing version of asbestos, lol.

Sponsored Links
I hate plastic with a passion, I don't know why maybe i'm just a bit old school.
Surely not. There must be some very good reasons for not using quality plastic; let us know when you find them. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Prone to airlocks because you can't get the pipe straight.

Fittings leak and fail regularly.

Unsightly where seen.

Known to increase sludge in heating systems.

The main cause of water hammer.

Unsuitable for 24/7 heating.

A major problem with vermin.

Pipe known to fail for no reason.

Fittings are too bulky and obtrusive.

I hate plastic with a passion, I don't know why maybe i'm just a bit old school.
Surely not. There must be some very good reasons for not using quality plastic; let us know when you find them. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Unsightly where seen.

now your just nitpicking :LOL: ;)

Only with open vent, which is inferior anyway

Not when you use decent quality and install it right
Unsightly where seen.

So are you but you are very useful despite that.

Not in systems installed and maintained by me.

Only when you don't clip them enough, same as copper.

Never heard that, please tell more.

Coldberk has been banned, so that is solved

So is my girlfriend, but she does a great job.

Oh and there should be no plastic within 1m of the boiler.

In some boilers the minimum can be as short as 600mm now, but yes he should be fitting copper direct to boiler.

Also would have to question the use of 15mm for main flow and return, surely a 22mm pipe with 10mm connections from manifolds would be better for efficiency.

Although having re read the original post, the 15mm pipe main is based on an assumption, the 15mm may just be for cold and hot water supplies.

Apart from plastic lookimg ****e, everybody who repairs boilers knows that O rings go brittle and pish water everywhere.
And what does plastic piping rely on... O RINGS
In my personall opinion plastic is used by those not capable of doing job properly.
rough and DIY

Did I read that right?... Client got 8 quotes for this job?...

plastic pipe is cheap and not a patch on copper imo, the amount of burst plastic pipes I have seen greatly outnumbers that of copper and there's far more copper installed so what does that tell you?

Plastic becomes brittle with repeated heating and cooling in a way that copper does not.

plastic pipe is cheap and not a patch on copper imo, the amount of burst plastic pipes I have seen greatly outnumbers that of copper and there's far more copper installed so what does that tell you?

That some plastic pipe is inferior, and most plumbers are narrowminded stick in the mud old farts. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Plastic becomes brittle with repeated heating and cooling in a way that copper does not.
The plastic I use comes with a 50 year warrantee, the copper I buy has a one year warrantee, what does that tell you?

Funnily enough, I have not seen a burst pipe in many years, and the last one I did see was copper.

I know that gas and water suppliers are accountant run, and change hands as often as I change girlfriends, but if plastic was not up to the job, would they use it?

In my personall opinion plastic is used by those not capable of doing job properly.
rough and DIY

Does that opinion extend to those that install ufh?

Funnily enough, I have not seen a burst pipe in many years, and the last one I did see was copper.

I've never seen one either :) First plastic install I did was in 1990 and in all the years I've used it I've never had a perished o ring.

I still fit plenty of copper as well but plastic definitely has its advantages in certain situations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back