Copper Compression Fittings with plastic pipe??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a sink with 10mm to 15mm (female) flexible tails - I am using pushfit pipe and connectors - is there a pushfit fitting on the market to convert the 15mm female to 15mm plastic? Or is it just a case of using a copper comp joint with plastic pipe? Is this OK - any drwbacks?

Sponsored Links
Just put an insert in the plastic tighten up the nut of the compression fitting until you feel it bight, then 1/4 turn, fill with water, nip up as required a little at a time, no more than is necessarey to get it water tight.

Can anyone tell me if plumbers use compression or Speedfit through choice when going from plastic to copper? What do most of you do out there?

joe

I've used compression on Hep20, Hep2o push fit on Hep20, Hep2o push fit on copper, and Speedfit on copper.

All work well enough, but there's no single perfect solution for all circumstances - it all depends on the circumstances and the pressures involved.

To answer your first question, going from plastic tube to copper tube, personally I'd use push-fit if I wanted easy dismantling or if access with spanners was difficult, otherwise compression.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. While I think about it, does it matter if plastic tube gets scratched in the van before you use it? Would it then leak?

joe

Yes it would leak.
Not if you use compression fittings. The olive will bite into the tube enough to make minor scratches irrelevant.

joe-90 said:
Thanks for that. While I think about it, does it matter if plastic tube gets scratched in the van before you use it? Would it then leak?

joe

Just curious joe - what kind of non-plumber are you that you have tubing in a van?

Yes you can sometimes make them leak proof with compression, but I wouldn't promote the use of blemished plastic pipe at all.

Talking about plastic, interesting emergency yesterday, while people were away for 3 days plastic float valve in loft nut holding it together split clean in two, spat float valve off and full force mains blowing out (new estate, marvelous pressure) all weekend.

Looks like the house may have to be rebuilt, it's so badly built all the door frames have warped as well as the usual floors ceilings walls.

That's teach 'em to use plastic. needless to say I replaced it with a brass part II valve.

Nice one Paul! Just curious - what brand of BV was it?

Softus said:
joe-90 said:

joe

Just curious joe - what kind of non-plumber are you that you have tubing in a van?

I'm not a plumber. I renovate property. I'm a good all rounder but I'm always eager to learn more from the pro's. Building technology is a big interest of mine, not just plumbing but the whole series of trades that make and repair 'buildings'.

joe

I left it with the customer in case his insurance company wanted to see it.

Funny thing this is the customer I gave an estimate for a condenser where I said it had to have vertical flue because of neighbouring boundaries. He was pulling in the final estimate last night apparently. No doubt he won't learn anything from this experience and will go with the cowboy who whacks a non steamer with standard flue straight into neighbours back yard like the last boiler.

I don't even care, but I won't fit it.

Anyway he's not in a very good mood at the moment so I didn't even discuss it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back