pushfit piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a thermostaic mixer shower. The inlet connectors are 15mm with screw & compresion ring.
The bathroom is plumbed with plastic pushfit piping.
Can I go straight into the shower with plastic pushfit piping or do I need a bit of copper then couple this up to the plastic ?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Sponsored Links
The "sleeve" is more correctly called an "insert" and stops the plastic squashing when the compression nut is tightened onto the olive.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
The "sleeve" is more correctly called an "insert"
It's only pompous fools who believe that there's only one 'correct' term for a part made differently by different manufacturers.

For example, in their price list, Hepworth call the HX60/15 a "support sleeve".

A proper and professional plumber would have known that. :rolleyes:

Also bear in mind that these sleeves also reduce the bore of the pipe. Not sure what type of system you have (gravity, combi, etc), but if flow rate is a concern, these will hinder it....

^^^^ 'tis true. The Hep sleeves are a thin metal type that are less restrictive than some of the bulkier plastic ones.

bathjobby said:
Also bear in mind that these sleeves also reduce the bore of the pipe. Not sure what type of system you have (gravity, combi, etc), but if flow rate is a concern, these will hinder it....
So what? There isn't any practical alternative to using the manufacturer's sleeves/inserts when using plastic pipe.

When copper tube is used there are more joints and the internal walls are less slippery - have you calculated the flow rate for plastic and for copper to see which comes out more?

have you calculated the flow rate for plastic and for copper to see which comes out more?

Yes, I multiplied the angle of the dangle by the lob of the knob and got the result that I was just offering an apparent novice with something to consider before he came back with; thanks, but my shower is only dribbling now.

bathjobby said:
...but my shower is only dribbling now.
Then perhaps your shower installer took advice of the same quality that you offered rvgledhill.

Good point bathjobby, something to consider depending on existing system. Some inserts restrict more than others.

When copper tube is used there are more joints

Not necessarily.

Softus said:
denso13 said:
When copper tube is used there are more joints
Not necessarily.
Here - catch (Softus tosses denso13 his UK Mr. Pedant award). :rolleyes:

I was only pointing out it is the overall design of the new work, taking in to account the existing which may, or may not, be important.

You critisised a previous post which is up to you, but when I correct something i'm being pedantic. Don't think so.

On aggregate, it's not possible to run copper tube the same distance as plastic pipe with as few connections. In the big picture your correction was therefore not a correction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back