Pushfit and platic pipe with a shower pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a shower pump fitted in the airing cupboard in our main bathroom, which pumps to the shower in our en-suite. I now want to ‘T’ in to the pipework and fit a shower in the bathroom. Because of the confined space and existing layout of pipes in the airing cupboard, it would be a real help if I could T into the existing copper pipework using flexible plastic pipe and pushfit fittings.

So what I’d like to know is can I use pushfit fittings and pipe in conjunction with the shower pump? (ie would the increased pressure be a problem?)

Also, although I’ve got plenty of flexible plastic pipe, I thought I might make things slightly neater by using John Guest 15mmx15mm 300mm pushfit flexi hoses. Would they be suitable? And finally, would the fact that the bore of these hoses is only 10mm present a problem?

Er, that’s it! Hope that made sense.

Thanks in advance,

Ade

Sponsored Links
Finnis said:
So what I’d like to know is can I use pushfit fittings and pipe in conjunction with the shower pump? (ie would the increased pressure be a problem?)
Yes. The pressure will not be a problem, although I have no idea why you think there will be an "increase" in pressure.

Finnis said:
Also, although I’ve got plenty of flexible plastic pipe, I thought I might make things slightly neater by using John Guest 15mmx15mm 300mm pushfit flexi hoses.
IMO they don't make the job any neater, but they do make for more maintenance because they have shorter life than plastic or copper pipe.

Finnis said:
Would they be suitable?
Hm. I don't like them, personally.

Finnis said:
And finally, would the fact that the bore of these hoses is only 10mm present a problem?
Yes - 10mm will be quite restrictive. You should follow the shower pump manufacturer's guidance and recommendations.

One last thing - always the correct pipe support inserts for the brand of pushfit fitting that you're using.

cant see any probs wit that idea just make sure you use proper pipe cutters when cutting copper pipe for the t dont want to f--- the rubber o-ring seal up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back